• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lodgewood defarb musket stock stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to complete a refinish job on my Armi Sport 1861 Springfield. I just can't get over the plasticky, walmart veneer looking finish on this gun! From the pics I've seen on the Lodgewood site of their defarb'd guns, that dark, brown/black reddish/purplish finish really looks good to me against the armory bright metal work. Does anyone have a recipe for a stock stain that might get somewhat close to this finish? I do plan to finish seal and preserve with BLO but need to darken up that probably european walnut...fruitwood or whatever they use.

I really like the Dixie Gun Works antique stain. It’s very dark, but can be thinned with alcohol. Another trick of old is to soak a plug of tobacco in alcohol or ammonia. I prefer alcohol. Then finish with a mix of BLO and gum turpentine.

I'm pretty sure the originals finish for Springfield's didn't include stain. I've seen Lodgewoods stocks, and was always curious why they are so dark. Look at originals and they turn dark after many years. The "Organ of Muskets" at Springfield Arsenal shows muskets with lighter stocks. That's the color you might want to shoot for. Euro walnut and fruit wood needs experimenting to get the right color. Id try different combos of stain inside the barrel channel until you find the right one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back