• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just starting this and have a 12ga double. I had a missfire and tried pulling my wads with a worm. I was having problems getting the last card out when my worm must have jammed and it broke off and is stuck in the breech area. This seem strange to me as I was only using my fingers on the rod.%*&*%$$^&^%.
Please don't tell me I am the first person to do this. Any ideas????? winghunter@large

I am just starting this and have a 12ga double. I had a missfire and tried pulling my wads with a worm. I was having problems getting the last card out when my worm must have jammed and it broke off and is stuck in the breech area. This seem strange to me as I was only using my fingers on the rod.%*&*%$$^&^%.
Please don't tell me I am the first person to do this. Any ideas????? winghunter@large

Compressed air is outstanding for such a thing...if you happen to have an air compressor or know someone / someplace with one...remove the nipple and blast it out.

Or, remove the nipple and work 10grns of fresh powder in there, reseat everything back all the way down the bore, then shoot it out.

Were you using a worm or a wad puller? A worm has a couple of spring like arms coming out the sides in a curve, that are used for retrieving patches from the bore. A wad puller is like a wood screw that threads into the wad. It is a lot stronger than a worm. If it was a worm you might be able to put a small fishhook on a rod and use it to hook the worm and pull it out. Just make sure the hook is securely fastened to the rod. Just a thought.

I tried using 150 PSI of air and the worm is still in there.
I will try making a rod with a hook and see if I can snag it. :cry:

I tried using 150 PSI of air and the worm is still in there.
I will try making a rod with a hook and see if I can snag it. :cry:

The gun IS empty, right?

I would hate to think you are a tuggin' on a loaded gun...

You stated:
I was having problems getting the last card out when my worm must have jammed and it broke off and is stuck in the breech area.

This implies that the shot had been removed as well as the fiber wad, the worm got stuck on the hard over-powder card, is that right?

If it is, then the powder is still in the breech, as long as the worm is somewhat centered on the card (not digging into the side of the barrel), I see no reason why you couldn't just shoot it out, the worm weighs less than the shot charge...

I think Musketman is on the right track, but if you can make a cardboard sleeve that you can slip over the worm to protect the bore.

Even if you didn't have any powder in her at all by pulling the nipple out and putting as much powder in the through the breach as you can , put the nipple back in her and blast it right out. This has worked for me, used 4f powder.. worked fine :thumbsup:

I did get it out. So you know most of the powder was removed when the worm was stuck. I ended up taking a steel rod and put a bend in it to make a hook. I slipped it down the barrel and gave it a turn. It didn't take hardly any pressure and the worm came loose. Oh well I know the school of hard knocks well. Can I make my own wad :eek: puller? How do you do it? Thanks for all the help.
winghunter@large

Great, it came out...

A puller can be made by stretching and clipping a stout coil spring, then sharpen the clipped part to a point...

Take the old puller's base (the part with the threads) and braze the clipped spring in place...

Since I am new at this I noticed that when I was pushing the wads in place I had a lot of trapped air and they didn't seat all the way. When I checked the rod lenth I noticed that one barrel wasn't seated all the way. I must be doing something wrong if air is so compressed that wads are hard to seat.
WingHunter@Large

Are you putting the hammer on half cock and removing the spent cap. If not, then there is no way for the air to get out through the nipple hole.

Since I am new at this I noticed that when I was pushing the wads in place I had a lot of trapped air and they didn't seat all the way. When I checked the rod lenth I noticed that one barrel wasn't seated all the way. I must be doing something wrong if air is so compressed that wads are hard to seat.
WingHunter@Large

Another trick is to nick the edge of the cardboard wads with your thumbnail, this leaves a small depression for the air to escape through as the wad is being seated... :winking:

Making sure the nipple is not covered or plugged is also good advise...

Back