• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Better Rod for Lyman GPR?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ramrod that came with my Lyman Great Plains Rifle is a good one.

That said, it is a good idea to check any ramrod that is supplied by all of the major muzzleloader manufacturers to see if it has any grain runout.

ramrodgrain1_zps8bb61b25.jpg

It's also just about mandatory to check to see if the brass ends are pinned in place.

Most of the big companies just glue the brass tip onto the wood and doing this almost guarantees the tip will pull off leaving it and the jag or brush stuck down in the bore.

RAMROD.jpg

I use split hickory rods and similar to Brown Bear, I warm the rod and apply bee's wax to it until the rod is completely filled to the core. This is cheap and makes the rod virtually water proof. I've been doing this for a few years and I've never had a rod swell up in the thimbles even after days of rain.

Flash Pan Dan said:
I use split hickory rods and similar to Brown Bear, I warm the rod and apply bee's wax to it until the rod is completely filled to the core. This is cheap and makes the rod virtually water proof. I've been doing this for a few years and I've never had a rod swell up in the thimbles even after days of rain.

Hmmm I never hunted in days of rain yet :idunno: a half a day and I'm ready fer the couch er the tent. I got a broke neck with metal and a burst disc I had to let self heal due to a ridiculous deductible so poor weather is a hunt hinderer here :shake:

You've received some great replies so far.

I have never used my GPR ramrod. I load from the bench so a longer ramrod is easier to use. I use a brass rod for loading and a hickory rod with a loop jag to swab the patent breach.

What I can say is the tips are not secure enough on the stock ramrod. I don't even use mine and one end basically unscrews from the wood. As has been said, it should be pinned at a minimum.

Ordering sight unseen is a manure shoot unfortunately. I like Track of the Wolf and have ordered many things from them but the pre-tipped ramrod I received was not pinned (in fairness, they never said it was) and has run-out. It also wasn't very straight. For $16.00 it was not a good buy.

You could order a few blanks and a couple of tips for the same money if you think you can assemble your own.

October Country specifies pinned tips and straight grain but I've never tried one of their rods.

I prefer my rods straight as an arrow. If the rod wants to slide out, I tie a leather thong around/through the pipe - no sliding.

Smokey Plainsman said:
Can I ask where you source your rods?
I get all my ram rod blanks from Michael Eder at Flintlocks LLC. He usually comes to our muzzle shoots so I can pick the blanks I want. If you call he will pick out the best for you. His web site is under construction so just call.
http://myflintlock.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Smokey Plainsman said:
Thanks! Is it hard to make a ramrod from a blank? I don't have many tools and live in an apartment. :redface:
You can make a ramrod with only a pocket-knife...

Black Hand said:
Smokey Plainsman said:
Thanks! Is it hard to make a ramrod from a blank? I don't have many tools and live in an apartment. :redface:
You can make a ramrod with only a pocket-knife...
I have built several ramrods, short starters, etc., with both the deldrin rods and misc. types of dowel rods. Most recently a couple of rods for my pistols an shotgun. I had several misc. jags lying around and made dedicated rods for each gun. .38 cal. brass make ideal ends for 3/8" rods and .50 cal. brass (50 Alaskan, 50-70, 50-90) for the 1/2" rods. The rims are easily filed or cut off with a drill press or hacksaw and drilled to accept the jag. The jag can be simply bolted to the spent brass rod tip. I have also drilled out and beveled 9 mm and .40 cal. brass for the short starter ends. On the handle end, I installed door knobs salvaged from the old house I grew up in. Some have an antler handle. Tapped ramrod ends are available from many suppliers. I didn’t mean to hijack this post. I bought delrin rams for both my GPR and Hawken rifle from TOW. I purchased brass pinning stock from Hobby Lobby.

The only tool other than a sharp knife and some 220 grit sand paper is a drill & drill bit to pin the ends on, if you are adding them. I always use some epoxy and pin the rod ends to prevent them from pulling off leaving a stuck jag and rod tip in your barrel.

Of course the more tools available the better, you know "more power". :grin:

I bought a five foot long piece of pvc pipe. capped one end and put a threaded cap on the other end. I then filled it up with 50/50 mix of linseed oil and kerosene. After I made the rod, I stained it the tint that I wanted, then dropped it into the tube, capped it and set it into a corner. Every two or three days I would pick it up and sloosh it around. after about three weeks in the mix the rod was removed, wiped down, and hung by a cleaning jag for a couple of days while the excess stuff bled out and was wiped off. Rod is very flexable and hard to break.
Bill

SDSmlf said:
Wooden ramrod with a steel core. Manufacture claims it is "Virtually Indestructible". And they are proof of it.
http://www.periodramrod.com/[/quote]
-----------------------------------------------------

Bad News.....

The elderly gentleman that makes these steel core period rods is ill. Very Ill and no one has trained his replacement...

You can call the company..maybe by now they sorted the issue out.

22fowl said:
SDSmlf said:
Wooden ramrod with a steel core. Manufacture claims it is "Virtually Indestructible". And they are proof of it.
http://www.periodramrod.com/[/quote]
-----------------------------------------------------

Bad News.....

The elderly gentleman that makes these steel core period rods is ill. Very Ill and no one has trained his replacement...

You can call the company..maybe by now they sorted the issue out.
How did you come about this information?

Thanks, guys.

I got a 3/8" hickory blank from Track of the Wolf and am finishing it up rightly. I specifically asked for one with no grain runout but sadly the one they sent had plenty to spare. Hoping it doesn't become a problem.

Smokey Plainsman said:
Thanks, guys.

I got a 3/8" hickory blank from Track of the Wolf and am finishing it up rightly. I specifically asked for one with no grain runout but sadly the one they sent had plenty to spare. Hoping it doesn't become a problem.
I've made plenty of rods using Track's blanks. I specify in instructions that I need a straight rod without grain runout. Occasionally I get one bowed or with bad grain. I just e-mail Linda at Track & she sends out a free replacement.

Latest posts

Back