• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Rod Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, gang. I have a smoothbore .58 caliber trade gun coming with a very long 48” barrel. I am struggling to find a steel or other durable cleaning rod that would be long enough. I plan to use the wooden ramrod on the gun for loading but want a really durable rod for cleaning purposes and pulling balls if needed etc.

Can anyone recommend me a rod that will work? Thanks!

You have 0 items in your cart.
Cart Total: $0.00
Home > Gun Cleaning > Ramrods, cleaning rods, loading rods > Ramrods, wood, synthetic; assembled or unfinished
Printer Friendly Page

Ramrod, 7/16" synthetic Delrin, almost unbreakable rod, 48" long, brass tip, 10-32 thread
Part Number:RAMROD-S-7-10-B
Availability: In Stock
Price:$22.59
Order Quantity:

• ramrod-s-6-8-b_1.jpg
  • ramrod-s-6-8-b_1.jpg
  • ramrod-s-6-8-b_1.jpg

Ramrod, 7/16" synthetic Delrin, almost unbreakable rod, 48" long, brass tip, 10-32 thread

Top of Page Home > Gun Cleaning > Ramrods, cleaning rods, loading rods > Ramrods, wood, synthetic; assembled or unfinished

Track of the Wolf, Inc.
18308 Joplin St NW
Elk River, MN 55330-1773
For your convenience you can contact us via our on-line form
Contact the Webmaster if you have any problems with this site.
Privacy Policy Copyright © 2022Track of the Wolf, Inc.

Thanks gang. Are the delrin rods strong enough to pull a ball and use a breach scraper with? I think I’d prefer steel or maybe brass for these tasks?
Yes, the Delrin rods are strong and flexible, Track says they’re unbreakable. It’s what I use. My longest barrel is 42” so I trimmed mine. I epoxied & pinned a wooden knob on top which only used an inch of rod. So when you add a cleaning jag or scrapper, you would have 48”-49” of untrimmed working length. If you call them they may have longer lengths available.

Thanks gang. Are the delrin rods strong enough to pull a ball and use a breach scraper with? I think I’d prefer steel or maybe brass for these tasks?
Although clearly 'whippy', yes they are strong enough to 'pull' a ball out. Make sure to 'pin' the ramrod tip on though, if not already pinned. I use one with my 60" barrel, not that I have dry balled her yet, lol!

Otherwise I make my own tubular brass range rods, 95% of the strength of a solid rod at 50% of the weight!

Brass or stainless is best, IMHO. There is a lot (relatively) of give with Delrin since they are not as rigid as metal rods. Think of a screwdriver with a Delrin rod instead of a steel one. I'm not against Delrin rods and have one I sometimes use. It's just that heavy duty use needs a heavy duty tool.

Brass or stainless is best, IMHO. There is a lot (relatively) of give with Delrin since they are not as rigid as metal rods. Think of a screwdriver with a Delrin rod instead of a steel one. I'm not against Delrin rods and have one I sometimes use. It's just that heavy duty use needs a heavy duty tool.
hanshi is right, the Delrin will certainly flex more. But sometimes I’m really cheap and the Delrins are comparatively cheaper. I use the 7/16” rod for my 50’s so there not much extra room for flex. And I do have a couple of nice, solid, stainless rods with muzzle cones for my unmentionable rifles. It’s all personal preference.

Definitely 3/8” is what I would use..

The Log Cabin Shop I mentioned custom makes each rod too your specs..

Solid one piece brass with each end threaded 10/32 would be my choice..

I have a SS loading rod for my smoothbore, it works well also.👍

I’m thinking of ordering a brass one for under the rib , it would have too be 5/16 too fit the thimbles on my gun..
Just too ad a little weight up front..👍

Thanks, gang!

Leaning towards the stainless steel rod from Rice. The 48” length should be perfect.

For a .58 caliber, should I order the 1/4”, 5/16”, or 3/8” thick rod?
I would go with the 3/8" rod for a .58. I have rod from Rice and they are very well made but I suggest you lok-tite the knob on the end so your handle doesn't start to loosen.

I purchased a 48 inch cleaning before. Found out 48 included the handle. Needed to buy the extra long jagg.

I buy brass rod of either 3/8" or 1/2" in diameter to make my own. Typically comes in either 5 or 6 ft length which can be drilled and tapped on end to accept proper jag or screw or scraper. Recent years these have gone up in price. 10 years ago a 6 ft piece of 3/8" was $15 from my local metal shop, I would guess triple that now. Also make great range rods

hanshi is right, the Delrin will certainly flex more. But sometimes I’m really cheap and the Delrins are comparatively cheaper. I use the 7/16” rod for my 50’s so there not much extra room for flex. And I do have a couple of nice, solid, stainless rods with muzzle cones for my unmentionable rifles. It’s all personal preference.
You Will regret being cheap some day. Just sayin….

Back