• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range and Cleaning Rod suggestions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good ole M2 (.50cal Browning) Cleaning rod kit plus simple tapered brass fitting from any hardware store
ebay is your friend

Attachments

• 20171016_173110.jpg
    20171016_173110.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20171016_173139.jpg
    20171016_173139.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Go to your local hardware store and get one of these. $2.00. Put a tip on it, $3.00, and you have a lifetime range rod for about $5.00. They come in 5/16ths and 3/8ths, all colors and lengths. A bore guide will slide right on if desired. I just use mine with the plastic tip that comes on it. Semper Fi.

View attachment 195004
I’m sorry, the photo is a little blurry, what are those? Thanks

good ole M2 (.50cal Browning) Cleaning rod kit plus simple tapered brass fitting from any hardware store
ebay is your friend
I posted earlier about liking my BMG rod. Only problem I had was the swiveling handle. Welded a nut on near the handle so I could get a tool on it for screwing in a ball puller. Have not needed to do that, but doubtless the day will come.

Nylon rods or one piece brass rods are my go to now.
Wooden rods look great under the gun for display. But for a range rod that gets heavy use, one piece nylon or brass is best.
After you get a broken wooden one through your hand the first time, you might agree.
And for what it's worth, never use a plain wooden dowel for a ramrod.
Proper hickory ramrods are cut and made just for that purpose.

As a quick muzzle protector hack, if you drill the base out of a bottleneck cartridge for your rod to pass through, and slide it onto your rod. That works pretty well to save your crown from wear when loading and cleaning.
Different calibers require different cartridge casings to accommodate of course.
I used an old 8mm French LaBelle cartridge for years. The base was so large that it worked in almost everything I owned.

Back