• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Loading ( range) rod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Shooting a lot on the range seems to be hard on the hand using a regular wood ram rod ( don't want to push it from the top in case it breaks ) So maybe a brass? rod with a nice round top might be fine for a long session but is it safe fore the bore? Is fiberglass an option? What would be the best for a range rod without damageing muzzle/bore?

I would stick to a brass or aluminum rod with a bore protector (nylon piece that protects the bore while ramming) and a 'T' type handle. I have fibreglass one and after a few times of ramming and cleaning it develops small 'hairs' from the fibreglass. Not fun to try to remove either. :cursing:
Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

I have two loading rods. For my long rifles I use a Durango rod that I have had for 25 years or so. TOW has them at Link.

The other I use for shorter barreled, larger caliber rifles. It is a 7/16 hickory rod with a ball on the top and a brass tip that will accept 8x32 threads. Both have muzzle protectors. That keeps the rod from rubbing on the crown when you are loading or cleaning.

I save the guns ramrod for hunting or primitive events where packing along a loading rod is inconvenient.

I have half a dozen of them. Brass & SS rods, all with bore guides to protect the muzzle. I make my own SS rods by buying 20' or 5/16 rod & cutting, drilling, tapping & attaching the handles. (easiest to drilled & tap in a lathe to keep them true & centered.) You can buy the bore guides from MBS for ? $2. I think, in brass or teflon.

The brass or SS range rod will last ya a lifetime. I actually use 3 rods for cleaning, two metal ones & then have a flexible teflon rod with a breech scraper on one end & a patchworm on the other end. I usually shoot a .54 or a .40 so the tops just stay on the rods.

I don't use a fiberglass rod, as my first rifle I wore the muzzle bad on it with a fiberglass ramrod, thus have never used one since.

Keith Lisle

What birddog said. Avoid a fibregalss rod like the plaque. It wears the muzzle and leaves fine glass splinters in the hands.

I prefer a nylon muzzle protector that actually slips a quarter inch into the muzzle to hold the rod centered. those brass cone protectors are ok, but can accidentally slide down and dent your muzzle crown if you are not careful.

zimmerstutzen, where to you find nylon muzzle guards? :idunno: TOW and Log Cabin only show the brass. Thanks.

For a muzzle protector on my .50 cals, I use a .44 Mag case, drilled out of slip over the rod. The case extends into the bore more than an inch, and the rim is just large enough to hold it at the muzzle. Works for me. :v

I get the nylon flanged bushings at the hardware store. They look like a top hat. you want the base rim to be larger than the bore diameter, the body to be just under bore diameter and the through center hole to be a slip fit over the metal range rod. They run 50 cents to a $1.00 at Ace hardware. Put it on your ram rod inverted, narrow end toward the jag end of the ram rod then attach the jag to the range rod.

So if you are shooting a 45 or 50 caliber and have a 1/4 inch range rod, you want a bushing with a 1/4 inch internal diamter, an external diamter of 7/16. I found some that are almost 1.25 inches long so the long part fits into the bore after the jag and keeps the road centered at the muzzle.

Back when they had a metalics recyling yard by where I worked I would get brass rods cheap and make range rods out of 3/8 brass with a bore protecter and "T" handle. Now I make them using Dixie's brown fiberglass and brass tips, bore protecter, and T handle. ( I have never had a problem with Dixie's fibergalss rods "sheding" like some fiberglass rods do ) :hmm:

Treso makes a Stainless steel Range rod, with a handle, and nylon bore protector. You will want to pin that handle on the rod, or you may want to change it for something you like better as to shape. The bore protector both protects the muzzle and centers the rod in the barrel so the rod does not touch the lands as you push the loading/cleaning jag down the barrel. Most jags are made from brass.

Brass rods are still available, talk to October Country about what they have. And Aluminum alloy rods are available from Pro-Shot.

I always use a hand-over-hand method of loading a rod into the barrel, grabbing the rod- regardless of what its made from-- no further than 8 inches above the muzzle, and pushing it down in a steady set of short strokes, changing hands as the rod goes into the barrel.

YES, my hands get dirty. That is why I have towels or rags around to wipe my hands, and the Range rod when I finish loading the barrel each time. I also carry soap and water in the car to the range, and on hunts, all the time, so I can clean up, and not get residue all over the inside of my car, and clothes.

The German said:
Shooting a lot on the range seems to be hard on the hand using a regular wood ram rod ( don't want to push it from the top in case it breaks ) So maybe a brass? rod with a nice round top might be fine for a long session but is it safe fore the bore? Is fiberglass an option? What would be the best for a range rod without damageing muzzle/bore?
Try this one; http://www.periodramrod.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I like them - need to order one for my GRP - I like the traditional look but am always woried of breaking on in the field and then not be able to use the rifle....

Back