• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best material for range rods ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My range rods are the ones under the barrel, Hickory. Just like my range box is the same one I carry over my shoulder hunting. Practice like you hunt it hones the skills.
Yep...I don't use range rods either.
I only use the one I can stick in the ramrod pipes.
I don't want to carry extra rods while shooting in the field.

I use delrin on some of my guns and hickory on others. Both work well and won't harm the crown. I don't have a range rod just a large turned handle to put over the end of the rod to seat the ball at the range. The rod is the same one I hunt with and carry under the barrel.

I will not use a wooden rod on a rifle or shotgun. I will with my pistols, but I load an easy to seat PRB in them.

Had a rod shatter mid reload in the field hunting deer. I almost put a long jagged spear through my hand. Missed by a fraction of an inch. If it had got me ... I shudder to imagine.

I only use brass rods. My rifles have brass rods where the wood ones used to sit. Yes it makes them heavier and I am ok with that. That close call put the fear of the lord in my butt big time. Wood is not safe. Even a good rod will age and can take stress. Once is good enough for me. Metal is stronger than me so I know I can't break it.

I will not use a wooden rod on a rifle or shotgun. I will with my pistols, but I load an easy to seat PRB in them.

Had a rod shatter mid reload in the field hunting deer. I almost put a long jagged spear through my hand. Missed by a fraction of an inch. If it had got me ... I shudder to imagine.

I only use brass rods. My rifles have brass rods where the wood ones used to sit. Yes it makes them heavier and I am ok with that. That close call put the fear of the lord in my butt big time. Wood is not safe. Even a good rod will age and can take stress. Once is good enough for me. Metal is stronger than me so I know I can't break it.
When ever i hunted i always used a slightly looser ball & patch combo for that reason! Accuracy was more than sufficient for deer, and no need to "force the rod down, taking a chance of breaking it and impaling myself!

I have a "secret" weapon I use for loading in the field, that works every time, and protects the hand from a ram rod shattering. It is a 1.5 in wooden ball I got at a hobby shop. It has a tapered hole through it and one falt side. You put the the ball over the tapered end of your rod, and push!! It is like a short starter but simpler, easier to carry and works on any wooden ramrod of the correct thickness or diameter!! You do not have to worry about the rod coming through your hand!

Attachments

• loading ball 1.jpg
    loading ball 1.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 0
  • loading ball 2.JPG
    loading ball 2.JPG
    542.4 KB · Views: 0
  • loading ball 3.jpg
    loading ball 3.jpg
    771 KB · Views: 0
I purchased 2 cleaning kits from Traditions. The one with the 3 piece brass ram rod, I converted an off the shelf ball starter by replacing both starters. The kits smaller of two brass ball pushers replacing the short aluminum starter it came with. I used 1 of my 6 ramrod sections with the larger of the two ball pushing jags to replace the longer aluminum unit. That ball starter will now seat the ball in a Kentucky pistol! And look good doing it

Then I took 4 of the remaining ram rod sections, joined them with the wooden handle mounted bicycle style and larger ball pushing jag, now I have an excellent field rod for my Pedersoli Kentucky long rifle.

And when my Kibler Colonial arrives I’ll just need to add the last section and it will be a fine field rod for her as well

Latest posts

Back