• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can brass bore guides cause damage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use both brass and plastic muzzle protectors and I like the plastic better because it doesn't slam into the muzzle when I tip the rod up and insert it into the barrel!

Well you asked:

Brass vs Steel - What's the Difference - ThePipingMart Blog

https://blog.thepipingmart.com/metals/brass-vs-steel-whats-the-difference-2Brass is a stronger metal than steel. This is because brass is a harder metal than steel. The hardness of a metal is measured on the Mohs scale. On this scale, brass ranks between 3 and 4, while steel ranks between 4 and 5. This means brass is less likely to dent, scratch, or break than steel. See more
The Mohs Scale of Hardness for Metals: Why It Is Important Here is but one of the several sources that state steel is harder than brass. That is why we use brass punches and hammers when we want to avoid damaging steel parts.

Last edited:
The Mohs Scale of Hardness for Metals: Why It Is Important Here is but one of the several sources that state steel is harder than brass. That is why we use brass punches and hammers when we want to avoid damaging steel parts.

SOFT brass on HARDENED steel parts. You forgot the most important information. Wanna bet I can't mark a mild steel muzzle loader barrel with hardened brass? I have done it with a brass muzzle protector. by accidentally letting it slide down the ram road. I dented the mild steel barrel crown. Tell you what, take a brass hammer and give your muzzle loader barrel a good smack on the muzzle end of the barrel ... Thought not.... Chicken!

Yeah, brass isn't harder or stronger than steel. That is laughable. I have been working metal for the last 28 years, my day job.
I said hardened brass is harder than some steel. NOT brass vs steel in general. I can dent a mild steel muzzle loader barrel with a piece of hard brass. Money where you mouth is? (I have already done it by accident)

SOFT brass on HARDENED steel parts. You forgot the most important information. Wanna bet I can't mark a mild steel muzzle loader barrel with hardened brass? I have done it with a brass muzzle protector. by accidentally letting it slide down the ram road. I dented the mild steel barrel crown. Tell you what, take a brass hammer and give your muzzle loader barrel a good smack on the muzzle end of the barrel ... Thought not.... Chicken!
Basic fact is brass is softer than steel. Can tempered hardened brass be harder that a very mild steel? Sure. Could I beat up a gun with a brass hammer? Sure. Does nothing to change the basic fact.

That's just nuts.

You're taking a piece of metal and swinging it violently at a stationary piece of metal.

You're transferring that brass hammer's kinetic energy to a steel muzzle that's just sitting there.

The force you're inducing is levels of magnitude greater than the sliding force/friction between a brass ramrod/ramrod guide and a rifle's bore.

No muzzleloader accessory brass ever produced is harder than a quality steel barrel.

Run your "Brass is harder than steel" test through an actual hardness test like the Rockwell Hardness Scale and see what happens.

Last edited:

Brass vs Steel - What's the Difference - ThePipingMart Blog

https://blog.thepipingmart.com/metals/brass-vs-steel-whats-the-difference-2Brass is a stronger metal than steel. This is because brass is a harder metal than steel. The hardness of a metal is measured on the Mohs scale. On this scale, brass ranks between 3 and 4, while steel ranks between 4 and 5. This means brass is less likely to dent, scratch, or break than steel. See more

1690508526748.png

Last edited:
Wake up people!!!

We need to start using brass barrels and steel bore guides! We have been doing this so wrong!

This is another one of those great instances where we can illustrate absurdity by being absurd.
Absolutely. The idiot that wrote the article quoted that brass is harder than steel was a media/marketing consultant "learning tricks of her trade" in the metal industry. Also clear that it was an english as second language piece written for the company in India. As the saying goes the writer got so confused something was lost in the translation. Read the article then read the bio of the writer at the bottom.

But it has to be true because it was on the internet. I am swapping out my barrels for brass as you read my posts and I am going to have Bobby Hoyt turn my old barrels into cleaning rods.

Absurd. Totally and completely absurd. She definately brought "an unique perspective" to that article.... As her bio says.

Last edited:
Some people can destroy a steel marble with a rubber hammer...
When I worked as Fleet administrator, I used to joke that I could give some ambulance crews 2 ball bearings and an anvil. After an hour, the anvil would be in 3 pieces and the ball bearings would be flat. 🤣

This is because brass is a harder metal than steel. The hardness of a metal is measured on the Mohs scale. On this scale, brass ranks between 3 and 4, while steel ranks between 4 and 5. This means brass is less likely to dent, scratch, or break than steel.
Talk about a bassackwards understanding.

Latest posts

Back