• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best material for range rods ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Been using a CVA "unbreakable" rod with a brass muzzle guard and wood palm saver as my range rod. It's made of some kind of black semi rigid plastic and works well for the most pat loading and cleaning. I found a piece of 3/8" plated steel in the shop that was perfectly 3 feet long and thought I'd drill and tap the ends to make a steel ramrod with brass muzzle guard and spinning wood handle. Being steel it has zero flex has a heavy solid feel to it. If a muzzle guard is used does it make much difference in material of the rod ? Are there advantages or disadvantages with different rods ? Is a rod a rod ?-Thanks

Doesn't have to be rocket science. I picked up a 1/4 and a 3/8 cold rolled steel rods. Then cut off a piece, silver soldered it to the end as a t - handle, and drilled and tapped the other end. With a muzzle protector on each, i'm good to go. I use the 1/4 rod on my .32, .36 and .40 rifles, and the 3/8 on everything else.

I carry a home brew 3/16" steel range rod , with an 8/32" adapter on one end for the selected appliance , and a metal knob on the other end. The rod has a bore protector floating between the ends , as well,. This rod is rarely used , as I will not admit to correcting a dry ball situation , unless it's for another shooter. I seldom use the original wood rod from a gun , and save it for hunting , so use a wood rod at the range for loading and wipeing. The home brew range rod cost about $ 10 + the bore protector ,and an assortment of tips to fit different calibers.

I use brass range rods for both my .50 (3 piece rod) and my .32 (1 piece rod). Neither seems to flex at all. I've used the plastic ones in the past, but don't like how they flex (especially if using a ball puller). I think they're okay (if of the correct material), but just don't care for the "feel" of them. I'd be happy to use steel (and do for my contemporary guns, if not using a pull-through patch cleaner), but I just like the brass a bit better. I don't use a bore protector on my ML rods. Just don't see the need for it, especially with the brass rod. If I were using steel, I'd probably use a bore protector. But I could be all wet about that in both cases. :)

I use brass range rods for both my .50 (3 piece rod) and my .32 (1 piece rod). Neither seems to flex at all. I've used the plastic ones in the past, but don't like how they flex (especially if using a ball puller). I think they're okay (if of the correct material), but just don't care for the "feel" of them. I'd be happy to use steel (and do for my contemporary guns, if not using a pull-through patch cleaner), but I just like the brass a bit better. I don't use a bore protector on my ML rods. Just don't see the need for it, especially with the brass rod. If I were using steel, I'd probably use a bore protector. But I could be all wet about that in both cases. :)
X2
^^^^^^^

I bought a steel 3/8" rod from TOTW and with a muzzle protector it gets used for everything. Loading,cleaning. Only thing is that the .32 and the .36 cal. jags will slip through the muzzle protector if care isn't taken when removing the rod from the barrel.

I have rods made of aluminum, coated fiberglass, and steel. I almost always use the two 1/4" ss rods exclusively for cleaning, etc. In the woods and at the range I load with the wood underbarrel rod more often than not. All, except the wood rods, have muzzle guards of brass or plastic.

Track of the Wolf has a steel range rod. I use a brass muzzle bushing, threaded cleaning jags…this is a solid product.

Sadly…since COVID, I’ve started dry-balling. I think I dry-balled maybe 5 times in 35+ years suddenly I’m dry-balling everyother weekend.

So I braized a nut up tight against the wooden handle of Track’s steel range rod…works like a champ…I can remove a dry-ball quickly and easily.

Last edited:
Been using a CVA "unbreakable" rod with a brass muzzle guard and wood palm saver as my range rod. It's made of some kind of black semi rigid plastic and works well for the most pat loading and cleaning. I found a piece of 3/8" plated steel in the shop that was perfectly 3 feet long and thought I'd drill and tap the ends to make a steel ramrod with brass muzzle guard and spinning wood handle. Being steel it has zero flex has a heavy solid feel to it. If a muzzle guard is used does it make much difference in material of the rod ? Are there advantages or disadvantages with different rods ? Is a rod a rod ?-Thanks
Last time I shot, I used 2 rods. I used a TOW Creedmoor steel rod and a synthetic walnut rod. Personally, I liked the steel rod more.

.50 cal M2 cleaning rod with a simple tapered brass fitting from the plumbing section of Lowes.

Attachments

• 20171016_173110.jpg
    20171016_173110.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 88
  • 20171016_173139.jpg
    20171016_173139.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 88

Latest posts

Back