• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Chronograph for BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdixon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am tired of borrowing my buddy's chronograph when I need one. Time for me to purchase one of my own. Question to the collective experts here, which one of the many chronographs out there works the best with a muzzleloader? I have been told that all of the flame, smoke, wad, lube and general disaster that fly down range from a front stuffer really play havoc with some designs. Which brand would you recommend? I did a search of the forum on this subject and came up with only limited information. Any pointers here would be helpful - thanks.

I use a pro-chrony..doesn't have a printout, but does average shots. It's relatively inexpensive as chronographs go, around 100 bucks or so I think. Had it a long time and it measures about the same as some of my friends more expensive ones. Can't tell much difference at all. As for all the stuff passing thru it and messing it up, just place it 10 to 15 feet down range. Look to see where your patches are landing and use that as a guide. That way, only the ball goes thru the screens and your reading will be accurate.

Have an old Chrony that I have used for years. Just the basic unit (have to write down the readings). They work great and you can now get them with lots of bells and whistles. Take time to set it up on a tripod and set it back about 10' from the muzzle. This was one of the best investments I ever made as far as reloading gear goes. It has seen lots of use and I have'nt shot it yet... :haha: Warren

Basic El Cheepo Chrony. Set it up at 15 Feet. I found that even at 10 feet you can get weird readings. 15 has always been more consistant for me, but I have to use a spotting scope to read the readout.

J.R. about any of them work fine. BP has no special requirements for chronoes. You still need to put it out far enough that blast and stuff doesn't effect it, regardless of the brand. I'm using a Chrony and it works fine.

I use an Oehler 35P with the start screen about 15 feet from the muzzle and that is not far enough away. The patches take divots out of the supporting shades over the screens. I should move them out to 20 feet, but have been too lazy. Have had to armour the sensors with wood. Never have bothered to correct back to muzzle velocity, it is all relative.

Latest posts

Back