• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Escopetas again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if there is some 'goop/product' that could be put into the chiseled features so that a flat casting of the piece could still be made?

We use clay to form dams for where we don't want epoxy to flow, plus use epoxy to temporarily place things, where the epoxy can be heated and removed later.

I wonder if the holes in the pan were for some kind of mounting deal for display in a museum?

And here's one more. I've never seen a miquelet lock with jaws this long. It's BIG, like the other one. Chiseled, engraved, and silver mounted. From about the same time period as the other.

Rick

DSC00223 (Medium).JPG
DSC00224 (Medium).JPG
DSC00225 (Medium).JPG
DSC00227 (Medium).JPG
DSC00223 (Medium).JPG

That is a very nice looking lock! I wonder what tool is used to to make the ridges on the frizzen face.

If you have the opportunity, could you post a picture of what the stock inlet for a Miquelet looks like?
Hi Tob, See below. What is interesting about this one is that it was originally a flintlock. The mortise was expertly filled with wood and re-carved to accept a miquelet lock. All done during the period. Lock is of course original, but cock, top jaw, and screw are replacements from TRS.
DSC00172 (Medium).JPG
DSC00170 (Medium).JPG
DSC00171 (Medium).JPG
DSC00312 (Medium).JPG

Rick

Hi Tob, See below. What is interesting about this one is that it was originally a flintlock. The mortise was expertly filled with wood and re-carved to accept a miquelet lock. All done during the period. Lock is of course original, but cock, top jaw, and screw are replacements from TRS.View attachment 278422View attachment 278424View attachment 278425View attachment 278426

Rick
That’s really cool! A good illustration of the smaller profile the Miquelet has on a gun.

Those long jaws are weirdly unsettling. It’s like the uncanny valley for fire locks.
LOL. I know. Due also to it's large size, I believe this one was also a styling exercise. Would likely need a LONG flint. Years ago, I was so often tempted to have a gun built using one of these big locks. But then I would come back to my senses realizing the rest of the gun would need to be built with similar style to the lock. And figured that would cost a mountain of $$$$$ LOL

Rick

That’s really cool! A good illustration of the smaller profile the Miquelet has on a gun.
That photo was when I first purchased the gun for a song from a local gun show. That was when I first removed the lock. The gun is all cleaned up now and has a Hoyt liner in the barrel.

Rick

Just did a search and read some old threads on this topic that seems to bob slowly to the surface here from time to time. Why these firearms -- which played such an important role in the Central and North American historical experience -- continue to be virtually ignored simply baffles me.
It appears TRS is still about the only source of lock castings -- and that no one offers any sort of affordable reproduction. Would love to help light a fire under one of the Indian manufacturers but there would need to be a demonstration of demand. I looked at a bunch of Ricky's original locks, drooled over Flint62Smoothie's elegant .56 and read with a tinge of sorrow posts by Wulf, Tinker2, Bioprof and others who have left us. Sam appears to have made a miquelet mainspring vise he was happy with.
I haven't left yet...................................wulf

That was a painstaking job of filling the original flintlock mortice Rick. It had to have taken time, patience, skill, very sharp tools, and one would hope, a bench by the window to have decent light.
Hi Bill

If you look real close, you can see the outline in the wood of where the original flintlock was. It's difficult to reproduce in a photo. But a live viewing will make it unmistakable.

Rick

Well, I think that is all I have to offer. I think the first lock I posted would be the best to copy. The other locks I have have just enough wear to make them unsuitable for new castings. Although I do have a Moroccan snaphaunce lock (musket size) and a Balkan miquelet lock (pistol size) that are in new, unused condition that would be good patterns for replication. But those are Eastern style locks and not applicable here.
Rick

The holes in the pan may have been a way to decommission as many countries require a lot of paperwork to own working guns.

The holes in the pan may have been a way to decommission as many countries require a lot of paperwork to own working guns.
Yet another possibility. The first big lock I posted is from a maker in Madrid. A well known historical gun making center. But the second big lock, with the long jaws is from a maker in Cordova. A city not known for gun making. This, and the larger than typical size of the locks is how I came up with the theory that sometime just before the turn of the 19th Century there may have been a sort of lock making competition. Something like a contest maybe. Also curious, there is no "official" gold stamp maker's mark on either lock. But they are both indeed signed by their makers. Bit of a mystery.

Rick

And here's one more. I've never seen a miquelet lock with jaws this long. It's BIG, like the other one. Chiseled, engraved, and silver mounted. From about the same time period as the other.

Rick
I see where the Circassians got their inspiration for their locks now!

Latest posts

Back