• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Escopetas again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just did a search and read some old threads on this topic that seems to bob slowly to the surface here from time to time. Why these firearms -- which played such an important role in the Central and North American historical experience -- continue to be virtually ignored simply baffles me.
It appears TRS is still about the only source of lock castings -- and that no one offers any sort of affordable reproduction. Would love to help light a fire under one of the Indian manufacturers but there would need to be a demonstration of demand. I looked at a bunch of Ricky's original locks, drooled over Flint62Smoothie's elegant .56 and read with a tinge of sorrow posts by Wulf, Tinker2, Bioprof and others who have left us. Sam appears to have made a miquelet mainspring vise he was happy with.

Veteran Arms had some Indian miquelets I worked on. Problem being that over there they assume all the locks work the same and the miquelets just weren't right in any way. Im not sure if sending them a miquelet lock would help or not. It was much like their boxlocks, the frizzen toes are cut to ride on a standard frizzen even there isn't one there.

Go here: Login • Instagram

Ignore what the link says here, that should be a direct link to his instagram account. Or you can go to Google.com, enter "osvaldogatto_avancarga" and "instagram" and follow the first link in the results. (Sometimes this is a better workaround for work computers.)

The escopeta scarcity conundrum continues.
I agree, much of the Spanish arms are waaaaaay under represented! Recall there was a recent magazine (NRA?) article about Spanish cannons found out in the SW somewhere?

Could the lack of even basic info be due to those old various sayings, of:
  • "The History of 'history' is written by the perspective of the winners!"
  • "The victor will always be the judge, and the vanquished the accused.”
Or these famous ones found in adages from different countries, as translated:
  • From France - “The history is right perhaps, but let us not forget, it was written by the victors.”
  • From Italy - “The history of these events was written by the winners.”
  • From England - “Vanquished – his history written by the victors – Robespierre has left a memory accursed.”

I agree, much of the Spanish arms are waaaaaay under represented! Recall there was a recent magazine (NRA?) article about Spanish cannons found out in the SW somewhere?

Could the lack of even basic info be due to those old various sayings, of:
  • "The History of 'history' is written by the perspective of the winners!"
  • "The victor will always be the judge, and the vanquished the accused.”
Or these famous ones found in adages from different countries, as translated:
  • From France - “The history is right perhaps, but let us not forget, it was written by the victors.”
  • From Italy - “The history of these events was written by the winners.”
  • From England - “Vanquished – his history written by the victors – Robespierre has left a memory accursed.”
Besides, of course, everyone else who wrote history.

Just did a search and read some old threads on this topic that seems to bob slowly to the surface here from time to time. Why these firearms -- which played such an important role in the Central and North American historical experience -- continue to be virtually ignored simply baffles me.
It appears TRS is still about the only source of lock castings -- and that no one offers any sort of affordable reproduction. Would love to help light a fire under one of the Indian manufacturers but there would need to be a demonstration of demand. I looked at a bunch of Ricky's original locks, drooled over Flint62Smoothie's elegant .56 and read with a tinge of sorrow posts by Wulf, Tinker2, Bioprof and others who have left us. Sam appears to have made a miquelet mainspring vise he was happy with.
Imagine my surprise when this showed up in an online Ward’s auction in Alberta a couple of years ago. Never saw one in my last seven years of following auctions. Advertised as 54 caliber likely a kit gun. I got it and got the lock working fine although it didn’t until cleaned up and oiled a bit. A member here told me the lock is definitely TRS and it shoots at point of aim beautifully. Great balance. I added the side plate, tacks and thumb piece.

Attachments

• IMG_9197.jpeg
    IMG_9197.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9201.jpeg
    IMG_9201.jpeg
    736.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9199.jpeg
    IMG_9199.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3848.jpeg
    IMG_3848.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0
I think if someone was willing to loan a original lock to the guy in Texas who offers lock casting sets he MIGHT reproduce them, but he told me it would need to be in really good shape to be able to copy.

Veteran Arms had some Indian miquelets I worked on. Problem being that over there they assume all the locks work the same and the miquelets just weren't right in any way. Im not sure if sending them a miquelet lock would help or not. It was much like their boxlocks, the frizzen toes are cut to ride on a standard frizzen even there isn't one there.
Hi Swab. So, there was an attempt at some point by Veteran Arms to make a miquelet lock ? I didn't know this. Sounds like they got it wrong the first attempt. Guess we should not be too surprised.

Rick

I think if someone was willing to loan a original lock to the guy in Texas who offers lock casting sets he MIGHT reproduce them, but he told me it would need to be in really good shape to be able to copy.
Hi Sam. While I'm not familiar with the wax casting process, I'm sure that's true. You would want an original lock that's in very good condition to use as a pattern. I would be happy to loan any of mine. But would a FINISHED, like new lock from TRS also work ?

Rick

Hi Bill. Here are two miquelet mainspring vises made for me by Jeff Miller. Next to them is my original vise, which still works well.
The vise made by Jeff works on the small locks, but not the larger locks. The lower jaw needs to be longer like my original. About 1 1/4" long should cover all the locks up to wall gun size. While the "hook" on the lower jaw of the original is useful, I don't find it necessary. A small piece of thin leather between the lower jaw and the bottom edge of the lock plate seems to hold firm. While a small piece of sheet brass between the screw and the mainspring, keeps the top of the mainspring from being marred/gouged when applying screw pressure.
The "monkey tail" on the other end of the vise is to relieve frizzen spring tension to allow removal of the frizzen. Many (if not most) miquelet locks have a piece, called a bridge, that connects between the pan and the cock. This bridge needs to be removed first to give access to the top of the mainspring. So, basically, you need to remove the frizzen first, then the bridge to get correct access to the top of the mainspring.

I think the cost of the new mainspring from Jeff was about $60.00. Very reasonable for being all hand made. BUT !! You want to request that lower jaw be about a full 1" long.

Rick

002 (Medium).JPG

It’s the guy that has Texas gun castings, I believe that’s his business name. I think he made the castings for your big 1640’s French flintlock. You would be doing a great service to us who like the miquelet locks if you could. I don’t know if he would copy a competitors lock though.

I think there is a matchlock review of pirate fashions offering. As I recall it wasn’t good. It looks like their stuff is made in India also.

Back