• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best .62 kit for a beginner?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Grotheer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've done some research but I'm still kind of at a loss in what to look for and I'd like to hear some experienced opinions on a good, hunting practical .62 smoothbore rifle kit?
I don't really want anything fancy, just something versatile to hunt turkeys and whitetail with and have a little satisfaction in having "built" it myself. I'm not really looking to break the bank for this either but I can save for a bit if there is a better quality kit that you guys would recommend.

I appreciate any help,
Ethan

I think that most good kits will go between 800 and 1000 bucks, northstar, chambers two I would look at, also Tip Curtis .

I'd look to Jim Chambers ... their prices might be a bit higher, but the quality is worth the extra money (IMO)

one guys advice: free and no doubt well worth the price

North Star west offers fusils, not smooth rifles, simular kits are avalibale from track of the wolf and pecotonitic, but these are fusil not smooth rifles. Sitting fox and chambers offer a true smooth rifle. Chambers is top of the line,I have heard good and bad about sitting fox. If you want a fusil it's easier to find smith rifles a bit harder.

Depending on your "beginner" level of woodworking and craft expertise an 'in the white' gun might be more suited for your needs. You will have to dissassemble, do some sanding and browning/finishing, etc. to get the completed gun. It is a great learning experience. Not all 'kits' are created equal and some could be beyond your skill level.

I'm still working, albeit slowly, on my first kit. Picked up a Tulle from Pecatonica though I did have to buy some items from ToW and Brownells to help me work on it.
It was daunting when I first opened the box, almost sent it back but the more I work on it the more confidence I acquire. Heck getting to the point now where I have to curb my enthusiasm in getting it finished so that I don't rush the process and make a major mistake.

A kit ain't exactly a "I did it myself" type of build.
Start with a hunk of wood, it isn't that difficult.
Chambers lock $165
+ smoothie bbl about $220 .
I suggest consideration of a NW Trade Gun.
Again, I like Prior Mt. Bills Book "Trade Muskets and North West Guns"and Hanson's "Trade Gun Sketchbook". They show how to build parts yourself, trigger, buttplate, etc. Inexpensive.
I know guys with no money who got stock lumber from the city burn pile. And, the NW guns don't have to be high end pieces.
Good Luck...let us know how it goes. :grin:

Flintlock.

I only know one guy who made a flintlock from scratch. Filed every piece. I saw him shoot it but I didn't pay close attention to how well. A young kid, just tinkered until he got it right. If you want to do something bad enough, it can be done. :hmm:

Ethan
Have you considers a smooth rifle.Pecatonica has a Pre Rev Kentucky stock that they can inlet a 20 ga colerain barrel for and the lock of your choice.If you use their plain maple wood that might be your least exspensive way out.Add what ever choice of hardware and lock you want(Chambers,Siler).Build it like a barn gun or a fancy Kentucky. Pecatonica Longrifle Co are good folks to deal with too. Curt

This has been something I'm considering too. I refinished one, and have gotten to thinking that I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into with a kit, especially considering the differences between companies that sell them.

I've seen it written before on here that in the white is something you can have a hand in that's assuredly beginner level.

A lot of places appear to do as much or as little of the work for you as you prefer. Personally been looking into in the whites myself. I guess it depends on how much you want to do yourself

I would be cautious with that advice. How good is your skill set? My first build was a full stock flintlock Hawken. Just a hunk of wood triggers lock and butplate. Made my tg,side plates thimbles and nosecap. Screwed the pooch. I was in way over my head. The gun shot center, but looked like it fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down.

For Bob The Beginner a rather simple, old style "kit" (it's really a gun in-the-white), that will produce a good shooting gun (albeit not very "authentic"), and for a decent price, is the Dixie Indian Trade Musket Kit. When built you have a Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket, but they are rather easy to modify. The trigger guard is blued steel and quasi NW Trade Gun, but it's easy to swap it out for something brass. Other mods are easy too, but the majority of fitting..., the lock and the barrel and the trigger and butt plate, are already done.

So..., might not make "the best", authentic flintlock for you, but might be "the best" for you to start building.

LD

No after several years I redid it as a flintlock 1/2 stock, later made it in to a 'canoe gun' for a friend. He passed away in '94 and I don't know what became of it.

A Hawken is the most difficult gun to build, in my experience, I am working on another now, with a DeHass bbl I bought a few years ago.
The thing about the NW gun, they were not that well finished according to records, so a little funky would be somewhat expected ? ?
Better to poorly build a NW Trade Gun than Hawken ? ?
You have to start with the first one. You should see mine.

A person getting a NWG kit with a cut barrel channel and ramrod, contered in general shape you still have to afic the lugs and sight, inlet the side plate and fit the butt. The butt plate is easier then a curve like a Hawken or other 1820+ style, but still requires care. Fitting the trigger guard and the trigger balancing on a pin and not part of a plate takes a bit of work thimbles have to be fit and in the right place. Lineing up the trigger guard tang bolt takes a bit of care. Just for s and g I kept time of it. It took me 100+ hours to build my TOW NWG. It more complex and skill needed then DGW pedi kit. Less then 20 lbs of pig iron and a few walnut seeds. Great for a starter who didn't just want to sand and finish but still has some hands on to do to start to learn how.

Latest posts

Back