• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint and Steel Kits for Teaching Youth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to do a fire starting/building workshop with my 4-H kids, and would like to buy some kits for them. We have 12 kids in the group, so I'm thinking 6 kits should suffice. Looking for recommendations for kits that will help the kids be successful without breaking the bank.

I'm wanting to do a fire starting/building workshop with my 4-H kids, and would like to buy some kits for them. We have 12 kids in the group, so I'm thinking 6 kits should suffice. Looking for recommendations for kits that will help the kids be successful without breaking the bank.
Unfortunately, good strikers are one of those things where you often get what you pay for. Some of the inexpensive strikers out there are not properly hardened. I got some from Crazy Crow to test and they will not spark.

Been there, done that with boy scouts. We found clothes dryer lint the easiest stuff to ignite (without using Zippo lighter fluid). Not historically correct, but it works - smells like dog hair sometimes. Have fun and water handy.

Wrong quote

That is a very worthwhile plan and they would love it. But as Tom A Hawk said you get what you pay for and cheap strikers will not spark. You need a good, hard steel striker and properly cooked char cloth. Without both it cause nothing but frustration for everybody. And I’m speaking from experience.

I don't mind spending money for materials that will let the kids be successful, but I just don't want to spend extra money for anything that only adds a "show" factor. I went through a very budget conscious time of my career, but the frustration caused to me as an instructor and to the kiddos who couldn't be successful, I might as well have not done the programs. I specifically think of a mechanics program and an aeronautics program I did, I really wish I would have spent the money for quality tools/materials. Not only would they have lasted, but the programs would still be running :)

However, I don't need anything flashy (probably not the best terminology for a fire starting kit). I don't care if they are ugly or unimpressive, as long as they work and the kids have a good time using them.

Our "survival" skills portion involved starting a small fire w/ flint & steel hot enough to burn a string suspended over a prepared fire pit (generous description). Timed competition. Boys love to start fires. After a few teams, there wasn't a twig smaller than your wrist withing 20 yards. Don' recall the prizes, but bragging rights were sure enough important.

Important to show all the natural/historically correct methods, for sure. We found it also important to make it easier to do as attention span is short and frustration level to be a consideration. Have water handy and make it fun.

If you can find some old files with a safe edge (no teeth cut in), that’s pretty easy - files spark like crazy. I have one Nicholson like that but it’s too good a file to break up into strikers. I have bought a few oval strikers from the Museum of the Fur Trade, all of which do spark. They are $8 each. If you call and ask them, they might be willing to spark-test six for you just to be sure.

Splitear:
I'd like to see some of these fantastic Black Smiths here donate a few to your more than worthwhile cause. I've seen some really nice striker work here. I think 2 or3 smiths should be able to get together and help you out? What do you say..guys? T'wer I a smith, I'd be happy to. I haven't swung a hammer in 30 years.
We spoke awhile back about you helping the 4-H kids make BP accoutrements. I recommended a book to you. How's that new baby?
God bless:
Two Feathers

Did a fire starting drill with my scouts one trip. Told em the patrol would eat dinner cold if they did not get a fire started with flint and steel. First year scouts were the first to get it going, competition set in with the older scouts. Char cloth, dryer lint and something else was their tinder options. They all said char cloth was th best. Make a team competition out of it. May not need as many kits first time out. Build inventory of kits over time.

I don't mind spending money for materials that will let the kids be successful, but I just don't want to spend extra money for anything that only adds a "show" factor. I went through a very budget conscious time of my career, but the frustration caused to me as an instructor and to the kiddos who couldn't be successful, I might as well have not done the programs. I specifically think of a mechanics program and an aeronautics program I did, I really wish I would have spent the money for quality tools/materials. Not only would they have lasted, but the programs would still be running :)

However, I don't need anything flashy (probably not the best terminology for a fire starting kit). I don't care if they are ugly or unimpressive, as long as they work and the kids have a good time using them.
Harbor freight sells the magnesium fire sticks… pretty cheap if remember, It’s not period correct…. But man they throw some sparks!

Attachments

• BA1B5B12-213E-4973-AE50-A4BE7CAA58E7.jpeg
    BA1B5B12-213E-4973-AE50-A4BE7CAA58E7.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 0
after WW2 when I was a BOY SCOUT, there was a MERIT BADGE for fire starting a fire with flint & steel. we would put a file in a vice and snap it in too, and get a piece of white quartz, and have a contest for the fastest time. GOD! thoes were the days!!

Do a google search for keith latham fire steels, they are made in TEXAS and from tool steel, hard all the way through

Using the file and vice method I usually can get 3 strikers out of 1 file. For charcloth you can cook some cheap cotton washcloths in a 1 quart paint can with a pin hole in it on your grill. I usually remove the grate and balance the can down on the flame guards. Home made stuff works way better than all the "pretty" stuff you can buy.

The shackle from an old American made lock makes the best striker I’ve ever used. If it’s chromed just sand or grind off the face. It has a natural hand hold. This is hardened just right.

Attachments

• 1667493899217.jpeg
    1667493899217.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back