• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beeswax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for any recommendations on where I can find some pure all natural beeswax. I’d prefer to avoid some of the debris you can find in it if possible.
Search in your area for a beekeeper. Most are usually happy to sell off some product. If there's a little debris in it, it will rise to the surface at the first melt; simply skim off and discard.

This is way cheaper than buying it from a commercial supplier, and you are guaranteed to get the good stuff without additives.

Pete

About ten years ago I purchased 20 pounds of beeswax from a beekeeper at a reasonable price, but it had bee parts in it. I melted it in a turkey fryer and filtered it through some burlap a few times and ended up with clean beeswax - no big deal.

I filled by stock 'grease hole' with beeswax just to fill it and forget it. Looks nice, but I'm not gonna have any actual grease in it. There are pure beeswax candles, they burn clean and pure.

I asked a guy selling honey at a local market, I bought a few pints of honey and he threw in ten pounds of wax.

www.beeswaxco.com
Texas beeswax.
20231111_105802.jpg

If you get the brown stuff from a beekeeper that still has honey and trash in it, it's easy enough to purify by first simmering in a pot of water while stirring for 10-15 minutes and then letting cool. The sugar will go into the water and much of the crud will be stuck to the bottom of the cake where you can scrape it off. After that, line a pot with an old pillow case or thin cotton dish towel, melt your wax very gently in that (double boiler is best, the wax scorches easily over 200 degrees F.). Once it is fully melted, gather the cloth together and lift out very slowly to strain the wax. It will then be clean and bright yellow.

Other than shooting a bee and robbing the deceased dude you will have to do what the other posters suggested. I've ordered it, gotten it from jars with honey AND a big piece of comb therein, it's easy to find.

Asked a couple of local beekeepers if they they were interested in selling any beeswax and they didn’t want to remove any from their hives. Personally, I purchased a few pounds of beeswax pellets from Hobby Lobby a few years back that I haven’t used up. Caught it on sale at my local store for $6 or $7 a pound. For my uses, found the clean natural pellets convenient and easy to use.
1699822840852.jpeg

Every time I look local I see dark wax.

Over at Cast Boolits, Randy Rat sells the best grade wax Ive found.
Got so much, dont know if he still sells, but would be worth the look.

I found mine on the shelf at a local arts and crafts store. Pelletized, as picced above, and also as pound blocks. Michael's, if you've got one in your location.

Back