• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear Season In Maine.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out for the first week of bear season and took this dry sow with my British P76 rifle. Load was 80grns 3F and .60 ball with .015 patch lubed with bear grease. Shot at 45 yards with a complete pass through on a quartering away shot. Bear went 30yds before expiring. Live weight 245lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_9692.JPG
    IMG_9692.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 4
Congrats on a fine looking bear! That rifle looks like a perfect length to tote around in the woods. đź‘Ť

Looks like you made a great memory, what a great looking rifle, and looks like a great hide on the bear. Maine bear trip is certainly on my list of must do trips. Thanks for sharing!

Good for you. I spent a week in Oquosok Maine a few years ago on a guided bear hunt. Bought a model '86 Winchester in 45-70 just for this occasion. Must have been about 20 guys in our group. Every day the guides would truck us out to selected tree stand locations. I diligently guarded that bucket of donuts with great anticipation. At the end of the week I had seen a grouse wander by but nobody in our group had seen a bear much less have a shot opportunity.

The guides felt so bad they hired a tri-state group of strippers to come in for entertainment on our last night. That was definitively the highlight of the trip.

Oh yeah, in New Hampshire we stopped for snacks and potty break and saw pick up truck totally destroyed from bumper to the top of the windshield. They had apparently just rolled a moose. This was also most impressive.

Nice bear and nice gun.
I see 3-5 bears every deer season on my place while hunting but they are protected here. The Game Commission has a majority of anti-hunters on it.

Thanks for all the kind words. Hunting dangerous game with a flint one shot muzzle loader is a pretty sporting way to take a bear. I did not have a back up to the rifle and needed to make the first shot count.Certainly pretty fair hunting.

How did the bear get your rifle in first place??

All seriousness aside, that is a beautiful bear! I sure would have liked a bear rug but there was no way I could get one without killing it. I like bears and just couldn't bring myself to shoot one. But that's just me and my weirdness. But congratulations on your fine blacky.

Latest posts

Back