• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel pins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it bad to take the pins out of my fllinter every time I clean it which is once a week?

I would say yes!.. If your talking about simple round rod pins!...If you have a hooked-breech and removable tendon flat pins made for removing...No problem!

Pull the barrel once, put a good layer of beeswax on the bottom of the barrel and in the barrel channel, re-install, and leave it.

i've been removing the pins about twice a week for the last five years and have had no problems. just recently i had to give them a very slight bend to snug them up a bit, but have never had one fall out on its own. someday may install tiny wedges, but when i made her i did not like the aesthetics of wedges on a slim lightweight rifle and opted for the less intrusive pins. since i have a hooked patent breech which allowed easy barrl removal idecided to experiment since i made the rifle in the first place and could replace them with wedges if i needed to. so far, i have not had such a need.

take care, daniel

It is not a problem to remove the barrel for regular cleaning, be it pins or wedges.

If your barrel is pinned just make sure that the ends of the pins have a bevel ground on them so that they do not tear out the wood, also if the pins become loose you can use a tooth pick to apply a small amount of finish to the wood inside the hole, (allow to dry ) this will cause the wood to swell slightly and the pin will be secured again. Another thing to do is remove and replace the pins from the same side every time, ( I push mine thru from the lock side, and install from the sideplate side ) in this manner only one side gets the pin pushed thru.

the reason I ask is because I have been cleaning it with the barrel in the stock. I put a tooth pick in the touch hole and put water in the barrel. Then I slosh it around a while and pour it out and repeat process until water comes out clean then run as many patches as I need until it is clean and dry then I oil the inside. Well Sunday I had to pull a ball out and take the barrel off because there was a lot of crud in the breach (knox if thats how you spell it). Is there something I am doing wrong?

Get yourself a fouling scraper and make it part of your cleaning routine, ( a flat scraper thingy that attaches to your cleaning rod. you turn it around to scrape the crud off of the breech plug).

Sounds like you may have a build up of fouling and the water you use to clean the barrel has turned it to mud.

P.S. I'm not a fan of driving out lug pins to clean the barrel.

The only problem with the breech plug scraper is if the plug is concaved, a flat scraper will not touch it and unless the scraper was fitted to the breech plug prior to installation its a hit-n-miss situation at best.

I pull the barrel as it allows me to submerge the breech end in water with a tight fitting patch pumping water thru the flash hole, guaranteed no fouling left behind.

ApprenticeBuilder said:
The only problem with the breech plug scraper is if the plug is concaved, a flat scraper will not touch it and unless the scraper was fitted to the breech plug prior to installation its a hit-n-miss situation at best.

I pull the barrel as it allows me to submerge the breech end in water with a tight fitting patch pumping water thru the flash hole, guaranteed no fouling left behind.
No problem here either..I carry a flat scraper jag and filed a nice little curve on another for the guns I have a recessed breeh plug in! It's only a couple bucks for another scraper jag....woiks for me! :wink:

Back