• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel length?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Was just curious on how short is to short? I have a traditions Kentucky barrel that when the owner put it together kind of messed it up. It’s probably safe to shoot, thought of just cutting off the bad section and making a shorter barrel out of it.
IMG_3921.jpeg

He drilled high on the tenon (closes to the end of the muzzle) and caught the barrel.
So how short is to short for a 1/66 barrel?

You say he caught the barrel...if that’s a tenon and it doesn’t go through, I’d leave it. It will be covered and that’s far enough down the barrel that I don’t think it would pose any problems.

It’s the first tenon dovetail closest to the muzzle as mentioned above. I was more curious of barrel length to keep accuracy. Was going to cut it because I don’t know the thickness of the actual metal there between the gouge and the land. No phenomenon here, just a simple question.

It’s the first tenon dovetail closest to the muzzle as mentioned above. I was more curious of barrel length to keep accuracy. Was going to cut it because I don’t know the thickness of the actual metal there between the gouge and the land. No phenomenon here, just a simple question.
Flat to flat dimension minus bore dimension divided by two minus the dovetail depth will give you the thickness in that area.

That web of steel is about .100 if the dovetail depth is .080 inches.

If your goal was to shorten the barrel, then there was no need to mention the buggered up dovetail.

You mentioned Safe To Shoot. I was telling you that's it's perfectly safe to shoot.

If you want to shorten it, it won't affect accuracy. I've shortened two Kentuckyish rifles and they shoot fine. One 30 inch and one 25 inch.

Attachments

• IMG_3017.JPG
    IMG_3017.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you're worried about safety, don't! The pressure at that point in the barrel is so low that you should have no fears of the barrel blowing out.

Just curious..,

I’m not really familiar with that rifle. How long would the barrel end up being, if you cut it off just short of the dovetail slot?

I would agree with the majority, the rifle should be safe as it is, and the buggered tenon dovetail will not show. I would not cut it, if it were mine.

However, there was a certain type of German boar rifle in the flintlock days that had a very short barrel, maybe 11” to 13” or so. It was intended for use by mounted hunters. The Cap & Ball guy from Hungary (forgot his name) made a video of shooting an original, and we had a discussion of these little shorties here on the forum maybe some time last year. It might make an interesting “fun gun” but I doubt you would get much velocity. I think one could expect handgun type performance from a shoulder-mounted firearm.

Personally, I don’t think I would have much use for one, but to each his own.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back