• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel length question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better yet, get a fiberglass rod. I have used one for years on my .32 and have never broken it. It will take some bending and not break. Before the comments come in about the fiberglass rods wearing out the rifling, let me say I have not seen any such wear, but I do use a muzzle protector and coat the rod with wax after every shooting session.

I've been told that a long barrel is practically impossible to get through the woods with. I haven't had any issues getting around with my 44" squirrel gun or 42" fusil. I figure if my 5'10" 200lb. carcass gets through the woods, the rifle is no problem. Get what you like but don't be scared of long barrels.

I've been told that a long barrel is practically impossible to get through the woods with. I haven't had any issues getting around with my 44" squirrel gun or 42" fusil. I figure if my 5'10" 200lb. carcass gets through the woods, the rifle is no problem. Get what you like but don't be scared of long barrels.
Very true, I have a 42" and a 47" barrel gun and hunt small and big game in the swampy brushy stuff in Minnesota. It's a learned trick and can be done.

I did get to see and handle a Kibler smr today. It fit me perfectly. When I shouldered it, I was looking right down the sights. The cheek piece felt comfortable and that was a concern. They are looong but it was much easier to hold steady on target. I’m leaving tomorrow for a turkey hunt out of state. When I return, I’m going to order one. Thanks everyone for their input. Jim

I did get to see and handle a Kibler smr today. It fit me perfectly. When I shouldered it, I was looking right down the sights. The cheek piece felt comfortable and that was a concern. They are looong but it was much easier to hold steady on target. I’m leaving tomorrow for a turkey hunt out of state. When I return, I’m going to order one. Thanks everyone for their input. Jim
too bad you can't take a smr with you on that turkey hunt! have seen them kill turkey grave yard dead!

Out of curiosity, what caliber SMR are you planning to go with ?

Need a good lathe for that
Depends on the barrel your cutting off. A straight barrel is easy to do with a hacksaw, a file and a square. Back in the day when Douglas was the goto barrel they came 44" long and you were supposed to cut them back to 42", something about the rifling in the last couple inches being inconsistent. So I have cut a few barrels over the years. Now a swamped or tapered barrel would be a whole different ball game, You would probably be better off finding someone to make the length you want rather than trying to cut it back yourself.

Cutting the end of the barrel and making it square with a hand held tool ?
Not a good way to go. Can it be done of course it can, but definitely not the best way to finish the end of any barrel.
Turn it square on a lathe and then finish with an eleven degree taper. ALL top of the line company’s will do such. So if you’re going to do it, do it right.
Doc,

Depends on the barrel your cutting off. A straight barrel is easy to do with a hacksaw, a file and a square. Back in the day when Douglas was the goto barrel they came 44" long and you were supposed to cut them back to 42", something about the rifling in the last couple inches being inconsistent. So I have cut a few barrels over the years. Now a swamped or tapered barrel would be a whole different ball game, You would probably be better off finding someone to make the length you want rather than trying to cut it back yourself.
When you cut a barrel off you also have to indicate the bore to make sure it runs true and the recrown it. Bores can run out away from the end off the barrel depending on how they were finished.

Barrels are just cut off w/a hack saw. Square the end until it's at right angle to the longitudinal barrel flats. To crown the barrel once the end is square , and flat. Just get one of those electric hand drill mounted , inch and 1/8 diameter round stones for large calibers , and a 5/8 " diameter for under .40 cal.. Mount the gun barrel vertically in a bench vise. As you run the drill , rotate the round stone mounted in the drill motor in circles until the bore is coned deep as you want it. Use some 400 grit emory paper on the end of your thumb to smooth the crown.All should be perfect if with patch round ball , providing patches are not cut. Use an awl and gently drag the awl from inside the bore to the muzzle entrance and check for a burr. If a small burr is detected, use the 400 grit emory to smooth it out.

Latest posts

Back