• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel length question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to get a flintlock for squirrel hunting. I have a TC Cherokee.32 percussion which I hunt with now and love the gun. But I want a flintlock in either .32 or .36. The choices are few. I would get a kibler smr but they look so loooong with that 44” barrel. The pedersol kits are unavailable. You guys that have the kiblers, does the barrel length bother you? I assume they balance pretty good. I never hear any negatives. Thanks

I want to get a flintlock for squirrel hunting. I have a TC Cherokee.32 percussion which I hunt with now and love the gun. But I want a flintlock in either .32 or .36. The choices are few. I would get a kibler smr but they look so loooong with that 44” barrel. The pedersol kits are unavailable. You guys that have the kiblers, does the barrel length bother you? I assume they balance pretty good. I never hear any negatives. Thanks
You can always get a gun you like & either have the barrel cut to the length you’d like or get the barrel you want made for it & swap it for the factory one

Long barreled guns like this handle and carry very nice, much more so than the short abominations. Besides you may gain a tad bit in velocity so you can use light charges and save the hard to get powder. .32 cal. guns have such skinny arse ramrods they are easier to break, I eventually went with a .45 using light loads for my all around trail-hunting gun.

Long barreled guns like this handle and carry very nice, much more so than the short abominations. Besides you may gain a tad bit in velocity so you can use light charges and save the hard to get powder. .32 cal. guns have such skinny arse ramrods they are easier to break, I eventually went with a .45 using light loads for my all around trail-hunting gun.
" Abominations " really.......jeeeezzzzz SMFH

I would keep my eye open for a Pedersoli Frontier, Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifle. All were made in .32 and .36. Dixie also carried their versions of the same guns that were made by Pedersoli. I have seen a few used guns on this forum and others, so keep looking. Of course, if you want to go custom, the Kiblers are nice. I had both my .32 and .36 flint locks made by Phoenix Arms (Kevin Blevens) in North Carolina. He does nice work at reasonable prices.

The Kibler SMR is pretty much the definition of a squirrel rifle. Mine is the slightly older version with a 46" barrel. As others have stated the longer sight radius helps and the front sight is so far out there it subtends a smaller part of the target, making for a more precise aim.

Only issue I have with the length is when I shoot on our clubs covered range. I have to make sure I'm positioned between the rafters so the ramrod clears them when I load.

The Traditions Shenandoah were available in .32 and .36. They are decent little rifles in either flint or cap. They are shorter barreled than the Frontier.

Hi,
There is nothing wrong with short barreled rifles.
1eotydP.jpg

UAzK3hC.jpg

MNwjAno.jpg

cMQJ3Mh.jpg

However, I would urge you to consider the Kibler SMR. The barrel is light and well balanced. But more importantly, everything else on the gun, the stock, lock, and hardware puts all of those other commercial guns to shame.

dave

Thanks for all the ideas fellas. My Cherokee has a short barrel and is nice for hunting but I want a flintlock. Dixie had some pedersoli kits but they’re sold out last I checked. I’d like something in the 38-41” range. I’m well aware of the quality of Kibler rifles. I’ve watched Jim’s videos and read most of the posts on here guys have put up. I’m just not sure I’d be happy with the length. I wish I could get my hands on one to shoulder it.

The Traditions Shenandoah were available in .32 and .36. They are decent little rifles in either flint or cap. They are shorter barreled than the Frontier.
Those guns haven't been made since 1986. You might find one used. I have a .36 Shenandoah, but i have never seen a .32.

I put together a 40cal SMR kit for a friend. It is a long gun, but the swamped barrel makes for a very well balanced gun that doesn't feel heavy at all. You may gain a little weight by chosing 32 or 36, but I would hold and shoot itnor you can. You will be surprised.

I have a 32cal flintlock with a 42" straight octagon barrel. That gun feels front heavy.

You can't go wrong with a Kibler, great people to do business with.

Use a brass rod. I have yet to break one.

Back