• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now, with that being said, jeeesh! C’mon folks! Didn’t wanna start a war. I don’ t care what you use to clean yer firearms. Jus’ clean the damn things. Dang.
It's cool. But .... it's just that when it comes to black powder, the usual stuff that smokeless powder cartridge gun shooters use doesn't work with black powder firearms. When I entered into black powder muzzleloader shooting, I discovered it was a whole different universe. What I knew and what I used with my fairly extensive collection of "cartridge" guns, along with their accompaning experience shooting and maintaining them, didn't apply in this new universe. I think a new BP shooter just entering this new universe needs to understand that, else they're going to have a bunch of problems they didn't foresee having. "Just clean the damn things" seems to be something someone who hasn't yet come to that realization would say. If you don't use the right stuff for accomplishing that task, then, well .... you won't. Period. That's why we're not trying to "start a war", we're just pointing out what's relevant and significant to accomplishing that task. Please don't take it any other way. Most people here are just trying to be helpful.

Last edited:
It's cool. But .... it's just that when it comes to black powder, the usual stuff that smokeless powder cartridge gun shooters use doesn't work with black powder firearms. When I entered into black powder muzzleloader shooting, I discovered it was a whole different universe. What I knew and what I used with my fairly extensive collection of "cartridge" guns, along with their accompaning experience shooting and maintaining them, didn't apply in this new universe. I think a new BP shooter just entering this new universe needs to understand that, else they're going to have a bunch of problems they didn't foresee having. "Just clean the damn things" seems to be something someone who hasn't yet come to that realization would say. If you don't use the right stuff for accomplishing that task, then, well .... you won't. Period. That's why we're not trying to "start a war", we're just pointing out what's relevant and significant to accomplishing that task. Please don't take it any other way. Most people here are just trying to be helpful.
Thank you! I have been shooting since 1978. Not just shooting, but shooting black powder. I may know a little. Take er easy fella. I too have a “fairly extensive collection” of cartridge guns. I am a military trained armorer. Sometimes I just ask questions. I was just looking for Ballistol. I’ll order it. Thanks.

WOW! Thank you everyone for sharing where I may find it. Seems ordering is easiest. I don’t know why but I figured I could walk into a store and just purchase it.

Now, with that being said, jeeesh! C’mon folks! Didn’t wanna start a war. I don’ t care what you use to clean yer firearms. Jus’ clean the damn things. Dang.
I get my Ballistol off the shelf at The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio. You can order it from them online too.

Fortunately for us muzzloading firearms enthusiasts, the right stuff for cleaning muzzleloading fouling can be found in and under most kitchen sinks. Water, tepid is good, and a little bit of dish soap will clean the black powder and substitute powder fouling from the gun. Because we have a non-removing breech plug, the use of a bore brush can result in getting the brush stuck in the bore since the bristles of the brush won't easily reverse. Some of our firearms have a chambered breech which will have to be cleaned with a sub caliber jag or brush (think 30 cal in a 45 cal muzzleloader) to get the fouling out that can't be reached with normal cleaning jags. Ballistol is useful in that its mineral oil base will get to fouling that is wiped over by the water and soap. The Ballistol also leave a thin film of oil in the bore for a modest bit of protection. The other chemicals in Ballistol do attack the corrosive components of black powder fouling and help to remove them. A final application of rust inhibiting lubricant such as Barricade or Boeshield or a few others will protect your firearm until it's time to go to the range or hunting again.

Last edited:
Fortunately for us muzzloading firearms enthusiasts, the right stuff for cleaning muzzleloading fouling can be found in and under most kitchen sinks. Water, tepid is good, and a little bit of dish soap will clean the black powder and substitute powder fouling from the gun. Because we have a non-removing breech plug, the use of a bore brush can result in getting the brush stuck in the bore since the bristles of the brush won't easily reverse. Some of our firearms have a chambered breech which will have to be cleaned with a sub caliber jag or brush (think 30 cal in a 45 cal muzzleloader) to get the fouling out that can't be reached with normal cleaning jags. Ballistol is useful in that its mineral oil base will get to fouling that is wiped over by the water and soap. The Ballistol also leave a thin film of oil in the bore for a modest bit of protection. The other chemicals in Ballistol do attack the corrosive components of black powder fouling and help to remove them. A final application of rust inhibiting lubricant such as Barricade or Boeshield or a few others will protect your firearm until it's time to go to the range or huntint again.
Thank you Grenadier! Way back when, (I won’t say causeI’m old) we did use dish soap and warm water. Nowadays I have more contemporary built ML’s and don’ remove the barrels from the stock often. I used to use CLP quite often and of course Hoppes. I just never used Ballistol and couldn’t find it out here, so, thought I’d ask! I sure appreciate your comment!

Just a quick question. WHY does it seem you can’ buy Ballistol in the West? I’m in Nevada and everywhere I’ve been looks at me like I’m crazy when I ask for it. That includes sporting goods stores and automotive parts retailers.
I'm in MT and we sell it in the store I work in and I can get it in any sporting goods store that sells muzzleloader supplies. I didn't realize it was that hard to find in other places.

I haven't seen it on any shelves of gun shops, or any sporting goods isles of Walmart and Meijer stores around Michigan. I ordered mine online. There were vendors selling some at the Kalamazoo Living History show the last 2 years I have gone.

Ballistol smells really bad. Everyone buys it once. Tries it once, finds it stinks up the house so bad that Ballistol is never opened again. Soiled cleaning patches must be bagged and removed from the house. 3 days later you throughly clean the gun again to remove that foul smelling oil to stop the house from stinking of Ballistol.
If your nose blind go for it.

I had never heard of it until a couple of years ago and could not find it locally here in NW Washington. I asked the local sporting goods shop and they ordered a bunch and I barley got a couple of cans. Although they sold out in a couple of days they never reordered it. I use it on many other things than my black powder stuff.

Hello,
I always buy Ballistol in small quantities and only occasionally: Contorion : revendeur numérique pour l'artisanat et l'industrie
Currently, on Amazon (in Macronie/Absurdistan) the Ballistol is out of stock...
I love how a guy asks a question on why he can't find a product and everyone has to comment on how they hate it. Grow up people.
No, I like this oil, but it makes me cough, I don't know why...

Last edited:
Back