• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol pricing....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm I agreement with a lot of folks here about using water for BP cleaning.
I'll just add I'm a big fan of Birchwood Casey's synthetic gun oil for the final couple of swipes through all my bores.
And Gun Glow on all external metal and wood.
YMMV. :)

Ballistol is the only lube you need for cleaning, maintaining and yes... even patch lube when used as follows. So yes, it's worth it and they know it.

Moose Milk:
1/2 Cup Ballistol
1 Ounce Murphy's Oil Soap
2 Cups water - I use distilled

In cold weather use a bit of 91% Rubbing Alcohol to prevent freezing

Moisten your patches with it as a patch lube and cleaner as you shoot.

After shooting plug off your vent hole or nipple and pour several ounces down the barrel. Hold a patch over the muzzle to seal it and flip the rifle upside down and back a few times to cleanse the full length. Set it down and let it soak a few minutes while you put away your shooting supplies and pick up your targets. After leaving it soak a while pour the moose milk out the muzzle end on the ground - it's fine it's organic. Then start running patches down your barrel as you normally would to wipe it out. I use the patch I use to plug the muzzle while flipping the riffle as the first patch because it's already wet with moose milk. Follow it with damp or dry patches, which ever you think is necessary to finish the job. Then run a liberally lubed patch of just Ballistol to finish. Wipe down the exterior of the rifle with moose milk and a Ballistol patch and your good to go.

I do this at the range before coming home. When I get home, I will usually pull the nipple of my percussion rifles to clean, oil and reinstall to prevent corrosion of the threads.

I have no problem leaving my rifles in this state for weeks or months - they are clean and lubed.

I'm not certain why some folks think it is the worst stuff.
I'm not certain why some folks think it is the only way to go.
I use ballistol, have an aerosol can and I have the regular bottle for mixing with water as previously mentioned.
I finish cleaning with ballistol then run olive oil patch for longer term (couple month) storage. I run a damp ballistol patch before I take guns on the range.
I've not regretted the purchase and it lasts.

Back