• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trouble cleaning one groove.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on this situation.
I must have run over 100 patches down this .54 bore, first with tepid water, soap and a flush tube, then with Birchwood Caseys #77 black powder solvent, bronze brushing, Ballistol, and even PB Blaster. Have a look at the cleaning patches. There is one groove that will not clean. I have been shooting black powder over 50 years and haven’t seen this before. I’m thinking one groove might have been cut a bit deeper. It is a Green Mountain barrel in a rifle just a bit over one year old. Barrel appears absolutely spotlessly clean with a bore light.
Any ideas?
Thanks to all, Snoot
PS Pardon the leftover crud on the nose cap. It was cleaned after the photo!

Attachments

• IMG_3422.jpeg
    IMG_3422.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3421.jpeg
    IMG_3421.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3420.jpeg
    IMG_3420.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3411.jpeg
    IMG_3411.jpeg
    946.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Being a perfectionist sux, doesn't it? I am in many ways but perfectly clean patches are not one of my issues. I agree with 64 Springer...the bore is clean, lose no more sleep, it ain't worth it!

Last edited:
Looking for opinions on this situation.
I must have run over 100 patches down this .54 bore, first with tepid water, soap and a flush tube, then with Birchwood Caseys #77 black powder solvent, bronze brushing, Ballistol, and even PB Blaster. Have a look at the cleaning patches. There is one groove that will not clean. I have been shooting black powder over 50 years and haven’t seen this problem. I’m thinking one groove might have been cut deeper. It is a Green Mountain barrel in a rifle just a bit over one year old.Barrel appears absolutely spotlessly clean with a bore light.
Any ideas?
Thanks to all, Snoot
PS Pardon the leftover crud on the nose cap. It was cleaned after the photo!
All that rifle needs now is shooting!

Everyone agrees the bore is clean.

Frees up the OP to inspect the silverware coming out of the dishwasher.

Is there a water spot on that glass?
Ooooh, I’ve been properly chastised. I do take meticulous care of my firearms and yes, the bore looks perfectly clean.
Just wondered why one groove still has a noticeably black ‘bacon strip’ when all else is great. Gun shoots great, no problems whatsoever. Just pondering the mystery.

flat breeched or chambered breech?
if chambered you may be picking up some fumunda and dragging it down one groove.
flat faced chambered, you may be picking up said fumunda from the vent if a flinter.
i wouldn't get in a twist about it, after all some of us don't clean for days sometimes if we are shooting daily.

Latest posts

Back