• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ball weight???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally had a chance to cast some balls with my new Jeff Tanner Mould. What would be considered an acceptablewgt range for a .315 ball? They mainly weigh in at around 47.5 grn....so i am keep any balls between 47.0 and 47.9....I attributed the wgt difference mainly to the size of the nub of sprew...it not always constistent on how my cutters remove it...does this acceptable?

That's good Byron :thumbsup:
"Acceptable" range is up to each individual, but with that small ball I certainly wouldn't want to go with any wider range than you have chosen.

With that little ball I might even snug it up a little, but you'll have to shoot'm to see how well they preform.

But again, having all the ball within one grain is a good measure to use. :wink:

I had the same problem with sprue nubs when I used regular side cutters (dikes) the problem was solved when I started to use a flush cutter that I got at Hobby Lobby in the jewelry dept. They cut the sprue literately flush. I never weighed the balls to see what difference in weight was.

Get a cheap pair of side cutters and grind it flush so when it cuts, it cuts straight and doesn't have the bevel to throw off the cut. That way it will cut more consistent and smoother.

The proof is on paper! I would listen to their ideas about cutters. For the casting I did always had cut off plates.

Geo. T.

Thanks to all for the advice.... so I went and i seperated the balls a bit further...not i have 3 groups....47.0-47.5, 47.5-47.9 and anything over 48.0...i think that should nsarrow the margin a bit

I think you have it about right. I don't weigh cast ball, just a visual inspection. Even culls seem to shoot about a well as I can hold. Tumble those little balls and you won't see any sign of a sprue.

so everyone feel free to chime in.... I shot a few balls from the tanner mould... The balls weighed 47.6-47.9 like the balls i shoot from my bag mold (which I ahve worked up an accurate load for)...however the best I could do was about a 4inch group at 25 yards.... I am using the same load as my known accurate load data 30gr, .15patch, .315 ball) do balls from different moulds shoot differently...even if they are the same size and weight? just trying to figure out if it casts poor quallity balls...or if i need to work a new load for balls from this mould?

If you have a micrometer measure the diameter of the balls from each mold. You may have to adjust your patch thickness.

Bryon said:
do balls from different moulds shoot differently...even if they are the same size and weight?,,,

or if i need to work a new load for balls from this mould?
Usually you won't have to rework the load as what your really after is the tight group, right?

I have seen where minor sight adjustment is needed to move the group closer to point of aim.

IMO, if a 4 inch group at 25 yards is the best you can get, the problem isn't with the balls.

The problem is with the patch, lube, powder, powder charge weight, barrel condition or all of these.

Check the condition of the fired patches for a place to start figuring out where the problem is.

well folks....i figured it out....I followed the advice of the god like figure of dutch schultz....best reading ever . Took me a couple of hours but i got her down to about a quarter size group off the rest.....i just cant figure out the magic formula to make em touch....but im working on it! I didnt bring my phone so i couldnt tAKE A PIC....but im confident that I can nab me some tree rats if i hold on the shoulder....and thats what counts

Back