• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball size - paper cartridges?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfyter43

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently decided to try paper cartridges in my .62 smoothbore. I first tried .600 balls with newsprint, but they were so tight I couldn't even start them down the bore.

A month or so ago I picked up a bag of Rush Creek .595 balls at Dixon's to try. I rolled up a few cartridges and they ended up just about the right diameter. I was going to go ahead and order a mold from Jeff Tanner, but figured I better double-check the size of the balls. I'm glad I did! Across the seam line from the mold halves, the balls consistently measure .590, and 90 degrees from the seam, they measure .586. Now I'm not sure what size mold to order. Should I get a .590 or maybe something like a .588?

I don't want to struggle to seat my cartridges once I get a little bit of fowling, but I also don't want too loose of a fit.

Also, can somebody suggest a good lube to keep fowling soft? I used 50/50 beeswax and olive oil, but after 4-5 shots I had to pound the balls down. In the past I've used straight olive oil on felt wads and it worked great, but I'm afraid of wetting my powder if I tried to use it on my cartridges.

In my .69 Charleville I use a .662 Ball, w/.003 or .005 Newsprint, or .004 Liquor Store Paper Bags (Very Tough Stuff) using Beeswax/Olive Oil Lube. I have heard of some guys using .648 Balls in their .69's. Depending on relative humidity, I can usually go at least 20-30 shots before things get tight - have even gone over 50 shots - but Buddy that was one Humid Day.

You measured the Balls - but do you know for certain your Bore is a True .62?

Eric

I have found .575 rolled with newsprint and 100 gr of 2f works great in my early Englsh TG....pretty accurate out to about 50 yards or so... that is on a police silhouette target....keeping all hits in the torso area....

What kind of accuracy do you get out of the Charleville with the paper cartridges, or any other loads for that matter? Distances and group sizes in inches as well as shooting position. The reason I am asking is that I am considering getting a Charleville myself,and am curious what to expect. -Sincerely, Smoothshooter

I shoot the Musket offhand, using pretty much a Full Service Load, anywhere from 90 to 100gr, F or FF, and pretty much stick to Paper Cartridges, working out of a Cartridge Box. Have settled on a .662 Ball. I've never really done much from the Bench - When it comes to Musket I'm pretty much into offhand, using standard Silhouette Targets. That being said, averaging 50 rounds a session, allowing for those exceptionally Good & exceptionally Bad days, at 50 yds I can usually guarantee all rounds will be clustered in Center of Mass (Chest). At 25 yds I can put them all in the Head, with a lot of rounds touching. This weekend I was shooting at some plastic Pop Bottles someone had left on the Backstop - at 50yds I scored some direct hits, and even the misses were close enough to send them flying though the air. Group Size? Well even though I score some Bullseyes, and admit to the occasional magnificent flyer, on average results are as above.

I should point out that my Pedersoli has a very heavy "Lawyer Proof" Trigger pull. there is no doubt in my Military Mind that if I would get off my Butt and have it properly lightened that accuracy would improve dramtatically.

At 100 yds offhand it gets tough - I can usually get a hit somewhere on the Silouhette, but Trajectory is a little bit Rainbow. But in Military shootin'...a Hit's a Hit.

No doubt in my mind that shooting from bench, with Target Load/Patch/Wad Combos it would be a different story (Just look at the Competition Scores of the Pros), but when it comes to my Musket I'm happiest just shootin' like the the Discharged Old Long Haired Continental Grunt I am. When it's time to get serious - well - that's what my Getz Barelled Harper's Ferry Rifle's for...

Eric

ps - Final Note - although I strive for consistant posture, stance, etc, I don't rely heavily on exact precise Aiming Points (Tang Screw - exact sight Picture, etc), choosing instead to almost, but not quite Snap Shoot - which is how I think it normally was in an engagement. Others do it differently - to each his own...

Back