• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper cartridges in a Tulle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone firsthand experience with them ?
I recently rolled 5 or 6 using approx. 75 gr. of 3F, ( + or - 4 gr. of prime),so let's say a 70 gr. load, with a .600" ball.
This Fusil is capable of great accuracy with with the same load , but using a lubed cotton cleaning patch ( thin) with the ball.

I'm fairly certain I can use a pre rolled cartridge and get acceptable accuracy with it for whitetails at 40 yards if I do my part.
My thinking is........an initial load with patched ball, with a cartridge as a speedy follow up shot of warranted.

Oh heck yes, I find a 'good' paper cartridge load can almost equal or maybe equal a patched load. Smoothies like speed, plus also experiment with 2Fg, as sometimes the softer start can help. My big 75-cal smoothie of 60" barrel loves 100-grn 1Fg loads in paper cartridges, using the 1Fg powdah there due to the barrel length.

Oh heck yes, I find a 'good' paper cartridge load can almost equal or maybe equal a patched load. Smoothies like speed, plus also experiment with 2Fg, as sometimes the softer start can help. My big 75-cal smoothie of 60" barrel loves 100-grn 1Fg loads in paper cartridges, using the 1Fg powdah there due to the barrel length.
I do need to invest in a few pounds of 2F.

I recently rolled 5 or 6 using approx. 75 gr. of 3F, ( + or - 4 gr. of prime),so let's say a 70 gr. load, with a .600" ball.
This Fusil is capable of great accuracy with with the same load , but using a lubed cotton cleaning patch ( thin) with the ball.

I'm fairly certain I can use a pre rolled cartridge and get acceptable accuracy with it for whitetails at 40 yards if I do my part.
My thinking is........an initial load with patched ball, with a cartridge as a speedy follow up shot of warranted.
I’ve shot them for play, but not carried them hunting. Mine shoot best with 80 grains 2 and .575 ball. And I’m on the ‘awkward squad’ taking me closer to twenty seconds to load. Could well turn deer French at less than fifty yards.
As far as being a quick fellas in the field I don’t know. I carry some light reading like War and Peace or Bulfinches mythology with me. I shoot, wipe the bore, load, smoke a pipe read a bit, take a nap, then go look for Bambi down,
Ok it’s not really that long but usually about fifteen minutes or so.
I do swab and dry, and I do a PRB for hunting, the twenty seconds vs a minute and a half to two minutes just isn’t significant to me
Honestly I don’t think Bambi would notice a difference between a paper cartridge load within range and a clover leaf shooter at the same range
You just have to be willing to not take any iffy shots and stay in your range.
And I think we all wrestled with that demon.

I have loaded more than the standard allotment of paper wrapped cartridges. I will admit that most of them were blank cartridges for reenacting, but more than a few have been used for fire ball at targets for woods walks and live fire military competitions.

The historical paper wrapped cartridge with a ball would have included powder to be used as pan priming powder. In fact, I use powder from my blank cartridges to prime the pan when I am firing blanks. In the live fire competitions, range rules prohibit using the cartridge to prime the pan before loading the main powder charge and then the ball. We have separate priming horns or a reserved blank cartridge to use the powder from it to prime the pan after loading. While in a line of battle facing an enemy who is firing at me, the safety concerns would be of little matter. Today, there is no need to prime the pan before loading the main charge. The saving of reloading time isn't that long and especially when hunting is not really as important as carefully preparing for the next shot.

Yes, a paper wrapped cartridge with ball can provide acceptable accuracy in your fusee sending a 0.600" ball toward a whitetail at 40 yards. Unless your downed deer was standing in a small cluster of deer, a fast second shot shouldn't be needed. If the other deer bolt, you won't enough time to reload as they will be long gone. If they are confused by what happened, careful loading at a calm pace would be more effective.

I've never tried paper cartridges in a smoothbore, I just used a "loose" patched .600" ball. I've found that you either hit with that first shot or miss. When hit, the deer I've shot died right there or fairly close. For some reason deer more often than not look up at the sound of gunfire and may walk a few steps. That seldom happens if you're really close to it. What causes them to run away (with a miss) is the shuffling around and trying to reload. I've never had to shoot a deer twice as once was enough. I can reload pretty quickly, Ahem! and have the gun ready in less than15 to 20 minutes. So then, firmly planted in my head is the belief that deer hunting with a muzzleloaqder is a one-shot-deal.

I've used paper cartridges in my Centermark Tulle and had just as good of accuracy as a leather wad and ball or a ball with a tow wad, at least at the 8 inch gong at 60 yards. My cartridges are usually 75 gr fffg (including prime) with .600 or .590 ball, using printer paper for the cartridge tube (students' old homework mostly.) This thread is putting in mind that I need to experiment more scientifically and use a paper target!

I use a French pattern paper cartridge. I load 70gr. of 3f and a 575. ball. I used Lehigh Valley Lube and was able to get 15 shots before any resistance was felt ramming. I understand that Mr.Flintlocker is pretty close to Lehigh Valley, Was getting 4 to 5 inch groups at 50 yds. This year I am going to try a 595 ball.

You'll have to play with ball size and powder load/granulation but it works just fine. Stick a oriming horn in your coat pocket or get a small commercial brass one to wear around your neck. Mine did okay with both 2F and 3F and .600 balls, and DO load tail UP, toward the muzzle, group size at 50 yards doubled loading tail down.

You'll have to play with ball size and powder load/granulation but it works just fine. Stick a oriming horn in your coat pocket or get a small commercial brass one to wear around your neck. Mine did okay with both 2F and 3F and .600 balls, and DO load tail UP, toward the muzzle, group size at 50 yards doubled loading tail down.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanx

I would mention that service military dimensions are not a suitable guide for hunting cartridges. The military had to allow for maybe 50 or 60 rounds being fired and the dimensions allow windage for the inevitable fouling whereas in hunting one is looking at a single shot that can be cleaned before reloading so the windage can be much reduced which makes for far better accuracy.

Back