• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad Luck With GB?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm 0 for 2 on shotguns I've ordered from GunBroker. With the first one the hammer was broke off and now this new one is no Bueno. What gives? Is GunBroker.com a bad source or did I just have bad luck?

There are no legal ramifications for selling garbage on Gunbroker, so people sell garbage on Gunbroker.

Gunbroker cares about one thing and one thing only. Listings. Just my personal belief, but I think they think their days of selling guns online are numbered. So it's a free for all now. Get the money while it's still legal.

People with a lot of negative feedback are allowed to remain. Blatant fraud takes place, and nothing happens. People win items with no intention of ever paying and that trash is allowed to remain a bidding member of GB.

Haven't bought anything on Gunbroker for many years. Simply not worth taking the chance. The last rifle I bought was a 7mm Brazilian Mauser with a "Very Nice Bore". The bore was a cracked rusty sewer pipe. But it shoots surprisingly well with handloads.

Last edited:
Sadly it works both ways. Many scumbags bid to either annoy or cheat sellers. Some are just flat stupid (or feign stupidity) to attempt to get the upper hand. It is amazing that there are some bidders are still unaware that sellers can leave negative feedback and permanently block them.

Negative feedback means nothing on GB anymore.

There was a time, decades ago, when protecting one's feedback was of paramount importance.

Once the word got out that people can cheat and swindle, the lid came off the pot and folks started to NGAS.

Heck really bad guys on GB can get their accounts disabled --- for a whole week! Its like nobody really reads the listings or even less the feedback. There's sellers out there with dozens of "f's" yet retain an A+ overall rating. Those who actually care about what they sell or making buyers happy are often abused by scumbag bidders. Alternatively , sellers can permanently block buyers at will and often do so when it's in the sellers favor.

I have been pretty lucky getting some nice rifles overall. I have only had one dud and in hindsight I will take the blame. The shop didn’t return messages and so I bought a 45 caliber TC Hawken with a great stock, lock, etc…. It was the barrel which was bad.

Now I communicate with the seller and if they aren’t responsive or interested I unwatch the rifle and wait for another.

That being said I am going to try and only get things off this forum from now on. I am 4 for 4 dealing with great members.

SR1

One big reason why most guys get ripped off is because they just can't pass up that that deal that's too good to be true!
Happens here all the time.

Guys will be on the internet scouring around looking for caps and primers powder.
They see a deal a website they pay with PayPal or some other junk.

Then they get ripped off.
No matter how many times your told if it looks to good don't bite!

Then there's emails you get where the guys telling you what the sales tax is and how much you're going to charge for shipping.
Low ball offers.
One of my favorites are the ones that tell you how much they can get it over from XYZ.
That jerk knows full well that it's out of stock.

You sell a $3,000 rifle and then have the guy ship it back. Stating it's not what you said it is. Rifle comes back ,you look at the screws on the side plate they're buggered up. You remove the side.plate only to find out that he swapped the inside parts out.
Or the guy that wants you to go through PayPal & the charge card scammers. After they get the product they file a complaint to get a refund.

My most recent one last week.
Guy wants to buy some cartridges, tells me he lives in San Diego and there's no restrictions in the area he lives in.
So I can just ship the cartridges direct to him.

I had my bad experience at GB. One and done.
Bought a Hawken listed as “very good” condition. Bore was not only dirty but pitted. After first 11 shots the hammer would not stay cocked. Removed the lock to find it was worn badly. I asked the seller to pay half of the cost of replacement parts. He refused. Said it was working when I received it. Asked GB to help. They refused saying I should not have removed the lock. Tried to post a review. GB removed it.
One and one with GB. Never again.

I've had decent luck on GB but I remain wary. My view of GB is it should be an exchange site for individuals, not a cheap marketing site for mass sellers. I filter out search results to only look at used guns that have bids, avoiding the mass marketers and their straw bidders that inflate bids.

You have to be careful. You’re buying a gun that you can’t really see. Make sure the seller has good ratings, study the pictures, read the description, ask questions, but most importantly, make sure you have an inspection period that allows you to return it so that your only out some shipping money if it’s not what you expected.

I have had good experiences on GB, however shipping, tax and the GB fee jacks the bid price up considerably but you know that going into it.

We have a local (statewide) forum that has a classified section. I have gotten good deals on that site and until the Commie “universal background checks “ become law across the country, you can buy rifles and shotguns without jumping through the government hoops.

I have bought several on GB and on Auction Arms (named something else now?) and have not been screwed (yet). I have however gotten guns from members here off the forum that were not as described. So you pays your money and takes your chances. Like gambling, I don’t take a chance on more than I can afford to lose.

GB is excellent. I've never had a problem. I returned one item I purchased for the cost of shipping. Like most interpersonal dealings, communication is key to satisfaction. If you understand the details of what you're purchasing, you'll be satisfied. GB is an excellent site to buy and sell unmentionable firearms on. All modern cartridge firearm sales go through an FFL thus there is no ambiguity about the legality of the transaction. GB allows you to shop anywhere, including with some very reputable firms that advertise there. I purchased an unmentionable Browning O/U that had a defective forearm release. It wasn't the seller's fault, and Browning repaired and returned the item within a month. I didn't live close enough to the dealer who advertised on GB to inspect the shotgun, thus the platform gave me the opportunity to purchase the gun I wanted that no local dealer had or could get. I've also purchased used firearms on the site and have been very satisfied because the seller provided clear communication. If you're not satisfied with the communication and/or are uncertain about the item's quality, don't buy it.

I’ve bought quite a few guns off gun broker. I’ve never had an issue. As always, in cases where you’re buying without handling, it’s always buyer beware.

Play ‘dumb’ when interacting with the seller. Ask a ton of questions in a Columbo-like manner. Ask for better pics. Also, realize that there’s a big chance the seller hasn’t even loaded, cycled, or shot it.

If the sellers comms suck, I usually walk away, because there’s a good chance the rest of the transaction, if followed through with, will suck as well.

Make sure the seller will accept returns if it’s a new(ish) gun…Also, never expect to be able to return a 150 year old gun unless they state that it is guaranteed.

I have snagged some good deals/rare pieces from GB. Stay vigilant, and as always: Buyer Beware!

Have bought firearms via Gunbroker and Guns International with good results. Have sold via Armslist doing nothing but face-to-face transactions. I will always gravitate to a face-to-face but most of the stuff I like is unique enough it's rarely if ever close enough to my location.

The way I try to do it is to approach any buying opportunity with the attitude that I should pass it up. Then I do the research to reverse that decision. Had a very near disaster in the case of a $3000 shotgun I bought from a guy 1200 miles away in Maryland. Wasn't anything like represented but I was able to get my purchase price back and only lost the cost of return shipping.

Have had to (painfully) walk away from some guns that were exactly what I wanted at a decent price. But things like the payment option, poor pics, extra credit card fees, weak communications, suspicious street address, etc. etc. got me worried enough I blew off the opportunity.

It's my opinion there is no such thing as an online store, auto mechanic, gunsmith, bank, car dealer, credit card company, lawn mower or under arm deodorant that is either 100% perfect or 100% bad. (Well, maybe the deodorant......)

Anyway, it's on us to weigh the pros and cons. If an individual decides to write off a business completely you could be missing out on an opportunity down the road. I've got a nearly 40 year old squarebody Chevy at a shop right now getting some gorgeous work done. I've already missed one gigantic car show and it will not be ready for the next one either. But the guy does fantastic work at a reasonable price.

YMMV

Back