• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Made a new bolt spring for the 51 today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dang, haven't even fired the 51 yet and cycling it today the bolt spring collapsed. Pulled out my trusty flat spring coil from an old Luftkin tape and made a new one in about and hour. Never have had one of these home made stainless springs ever brake on me so now that I've said so we'll really give it a test for longevity. Murphy likes to make me look bad when he can ! 😄

Attachments

• IMG_2259.JPG
    IMG_2259.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2260.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 0
Ain't that the truth. I fixed the ASP NMA timing with a kludge bolt I ground down from a Uberti Parts kit. then I realized that a Pietta part matched the ASP part a lot better.

LOL is does not work for &^%$. My kludge one works nicely. Go figure.

On the other hand the never fired ROA drops the bolt at half cock aka the same problem the ASP had. I may or may not mess with it. I can just put a wooden dowel under the hammer and that works.

On the other hand the never fired ROA drops the bolt at half cock aka the same problem the ASP had. I may or may not mess with it. I can just put a wooden dowel under the hammer and that works.

Delete

Mike

Last edited:
Dang, haven't even fired the 51 yet and cycling it today the bolt spring collapsed. Pulled out my trusty flat spring coil from an old Luftkin tape and made a new one in about and hour. Never have had one of these home made stainless springs ever brake on me so now that I've said so we'll really give it a test for longevity. Murphy likes to make me look bad when he can ! 😄

Darn flat springs!!! They'll sneak up on ya at the dangdest times!!! 🤔

Mike

Nice work. I've made a couple of those using broken band saw blades. Long time ago the night before a shoot my hand spring broke in my 58 target model. I fabricated one from the clip of a pocket screwdriver. Believe it or not, it's been going strong for ten plus years 👍.

j
Nice work. I've made a couple of those using broken band saw blades. Long time ago the night before a shoot my hand spring broke in my 58 target model. I fabricated one from the clip of a pocket screwdriver. Believe it or not, it's been going strong for ten plus years 👍.
Was that stainless spring stock. That stuff is so tough I have to drill it with a carbide center drill, slot and shape it with Dremel cut off wheels and my bench grinder.

j

Was that stainless spring stock. That stuff is so tough I have to drill it with a carbide center drill, slot and shape it with Dremel cut off wheels and my bench grinder.
Not sure what the band saw blades are actually made out of. They were easier to drill through than i thought with good bits. Used a cut off wheel on a dremel to make the split. Did a little shaping on a bench grinder heated with a bottle torch and bent to shape. The screwdriver clip might be stainless, not sure. Snapped it off did a little shaping on the grinder. Opened the slot on the hand with a small sharp chisel inserted "spring" closed slot with a hammer and punch.
The one i used was a bit longer than this but the same shape.

Attachments

• 20240211_230139.jpg
    20240211_230139.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 0
Not sure what the band saw blades are actually made out of. They were easier to drill through than i thought with good bits. Used a cut off wheel on a dremel to make the split. Did a little shaping on a bench grinder heated with a bottle torch and bent to shape. The screwdriver clip might be stainless, not sure. Snapped it off did a little shaping on the grinder. Opened the slot on the hand with a small sharp chisel inserted "spring" closed slot with a hammer and punch.
The one i used was a bit longer than this but the same shape.
Yeah, looks like one of many stainless alloys of spring stock. The stuff I use ( a flat drive coil out of a broken Luftkin tape measure) has made quite a few flat springs over probably 35 years and I've yet to ever have one fail. It has to be worried in half after heavily creasing it with the Dremel wheels if you don't grind all the way through. I use the Dremel cut off wheels doubled up to cut the slot between the fingers and have to drill the purchase hole with a carbide center drill as HS steel bits won't cut a hole. It's not particularly hard but tough as can be and very excellent for flat trigger springs.
I also lathe and jig wind my own coil , lever/coil springs in place of flat springs on rifles converted to strut and coil mainsprings, but have never found anything that works as well as this stainless flat coil spring stock for single action trigger/bolt springs.
I have had wire springs fail on rare occasions but as of yet none made of this stainless flat coil spring stock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back