• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Backcountry rifle care/necessities

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Will be packing my 54cal Leman into the mountains of CO for mule deer in '17 with a lil luck in the draw. Plan is to ensure I have a bone dry rifle before leaving MN. I'll pop a cap or two to make sure nipple is clean of debris before loading day before opener. I have to pack everything in so I will only be bringing in bare necessities to keep weight down to a minimum. I'm going to cheat a lil and use some store bought speed loaders and forego a full possible bag. I really like the idea of using the rubber O ring nipple/brass nippple cover for this hunt which is made by October Country. I own a set now but have never used it. I always use hotshot nipples and mag caps to ignite my T7 I shoot in rifle. I don't know how much hotter that nipple would be over the October Country regular nipple. Any advice like a new cap every morning, etc would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid having to pull charge and reload on the trip but will have ability to do so if we get some wet weather otherwise I'm hoping that the nipple cover shines through.

Try to camp a half mile or more from where you hunt. DONT load day before. Early AM on day one pop a cap and load 1/2 charge. Shoot a tree. Now load as usual. You wont have any hangfires this way. Or you can do what any of the other will be posting below, THIS WORKS FOR ME. Only bummer s every night shoot yer load, clean (at least kinda well) and then repeat with half load fired, load n hunt. I have lost my last animal to a misfire!

Before leaving run a patch soaked in brake cleaner down the barrel. It'll remove every bit of oil residue that could foul your powder.

You can also run a little bit of clear nail polish around the cap to seal it against any moisture when you load it. Between that and a tight fitting patch and ball there's no way moisture will enter your load even when left loaded for days.

I usually run a bore mop damp with rubbing alcohol down bore and let it dry before loading for hunting. I've left a rifle loaded for over 2wks here in MN from firearm season all the way till our true muzzleloader season and it went off without any issues doing my method.

mnbearbaiter said:
I've left a rifle loaded for over 2wks here in MN from firearm season all the way till our true muzzleloader season and it went off without any issues doing my method.

Keep doing what you have been doing. It's drier here and you are accustomed to snow. Even the snow is drier.

CO Elkeater said:
mnbearbaiter said:
I've left a rifle loaded for over 2wks here in MN from firearm season all the way till our true muzzleloader season and it went off without any issues doing my method.

Keep doing what you have been doing. It's drier here and you are accustomed to snow. Even the snow is drier.

I agree!....

So the nipple protector that October Country sells isn't any good? I just figured I'd practice all summer with a standard niplle just like the one hey sell with the O ring attached to it and get used to the maintenance of them which should be no different then just use my method of cleaning along with the nipple protector and I'd be golden? Maybe change out cap every day or every other day for piece of mind but shouldn't have to even do that?

Don't make it too complicated. Don't worry about the cap. Before I load the gun for hunting I remove the nipple and take a pipe cleaner or thin cu wire to the flash channel. If hunting in snow I tape the muzzle.

I don't have any experience with substitute powder but I've heard that it aint the real thing. There aint nothin like the real thing baby.

Latest posts

Back