• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Authentic popcorn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherpadoug

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know when popcorn was available? I know the Aztecs had it in the 1600's. And it became popular in the US in the late 1800's. Does anyone know if it was plausibly available in colonial times?
:thanks:

From my archives...

Although popcorn is still well loved today its history dates back many centuries. It is believed that popcorn originated in Mexico, with the oldest ears of corn ever found coming from a Bat Cave in west central Mexico in 1948. Here Cachise Indians dating back to 2,500 B.C. are thought to have grown and eaten popcorn. A funeral urn also found in Mexico from 300 A.D. shows a picture of a maize god with some form of primitive popcorn head-dress. Popcorn kernels have also been found in tombs on the east coast of Peru, some of which still pop after 1,000 years.

By the time Europeans began to settle in America popcorn had spread to almost all Native American tribes. The English colonists were introduced to popcorn at the first Thanksgiving feast in Plymouth, Massachusetts, where one of the chief's brothers arrived with a goodwill gift of popped corn in a deerskin bag. After their introduction the colonists had the idea of eating popcorn with milk and sugar and so was born the breakfast cereal. At this point there were more than 700 varieties of popcorn.

When Columbus first arrived in the West Indies he found the natives eating popcorn as well as using it for decoration. Cortes also discovered, after invading Mexico in 1519, that popcorn was just as important to the Aztecs, who used it for decorating their ceremonial head-dresses, necklaces as well as for food.

One of the earliest ways to pop corn was to toast it over an open fire or even to throw the cob directly into the fire until it began to pop. American Indians would pierce the centre of the cob with a sharp stick then spread oil over the corn and lay it near a fire, causing the kernel to pop attached to the ear. Another way was to use a clay or metal cooking pot containing oil held over a fire, much like today. It wasn't until the 18th century when popping in oil really began to take off as the results and taste produced were far superior to that of toasted popcorn.

The greatest tasting popcorn is made with those preloaded aluminum foil packages, cooked by lighting a chunk of C-4 explosive in a C-ration can stove made with your church key.

Definitely PC correct for a previous century.....

rayb

Excellent! Something cheap, easy and authentic to amuse the kids. I had been wondering if the Spanish brought popcorn from Mexico, then the English may have brought it to New England. Colonists getting popcorn directly from the Indians will please those looking for native American tie-ins. :hatsoff:

All of the varieties of corn we now use originated with the small cob pop varities that Claude sited in his post.

All corn varieties retain their tendancy to "pop" when dry heated or cooked in light oils, though not as dramatically as what we call popcorn. This is why field corn will "Parch" in a skillet or on a hot rock by the campfire.

:front:

Claude, are you implying that the Indians had microwaves ovens before Ben Franklin discovered electricity?

They must have had a clay pot or dish and stirred it with a stick to keep it from burning.

Claude, are you implying that the Indians had microwaves ovens before Ben Franklin discovered electricity?

Gee, I don't think I meant that when I said... "They either placed loose kernels in a clay pot, or tossed whole ears in the fire and picked it up after it popped."

They must have had a clay pot or dish and stirred it with a stick to keep it from burning.

Is there an echo in here? :crackup:

Popcorn was definitely a hit at last weekend's outing! That and my pegged wooden cage of live chickens (no live chickens were harmed).
I heated some butter (just churned by my wife) in a round bottomed cast iron kettle. Just as it was starting to darken I added a hand full of popcorn and put on the lid. Then we waited till the popping stopped, and Ta Da... Popcorn!
:thumbsup:

Back