• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have probably asked this before...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the law in your state regarding cutting down of a regular ML shotgun to one that is pistol sized? I guess that it that whether or not your state considers ML firearms to actually BE firearms in the first place.

Here in UK you CAN actually do it. 'course you can. But you'd probably go to jail.

When your ML guns are found on a probation search or car stop you will go to jail. They will seize and destroy your guns. You can then try to explain what is and is not a firearm to the judge. The judge may or may not buy it. In the meantime you will rack up legal fees. Posting plans like this or admissions on the internet is not a good idea.

If you make a new stock that is configured like a pistol and use the lock and tang etc and cut the barrel to pistol length you will be okay . T/C made a Hawkin pistol just make yours look the same.

If you make a new stock that is configured like a pistol and use the lock and tang etc and cut the barrel to pistol length you will be okay . T/C made a Hawkin pistol just make yours look the same.
Well maybe I will just sell it here and look around for a Pistol kit.

Well the reason for my inquiry was if you can buy a trapper pistol kit then why not be able to do this?
Was not busting on you.

Was preparing for the onslaught of BGOS comments about "Short Barreled Rifles". And better to be safe than sorry comments. And don't get within seven miles of a USPS building with a black powder pistol comments.

There are no rules regarding long barrel, short barrel, or any other weapon (AOW) garbage when it comes to BP firearms.

You can have a 14 inch ML barrel and black thingy that pops up in the back and you're GTG.

Does anyone know if I can turn a T/C Hawken into a Pistol? I know it is prohibited by the ATF when it comes down to modern centerfire,s. Im sure some builder,s out there will have an answer on this. Thanks, SM
Why?
30 minutes with a sawsall and I can turn my ‘51 coupe in to a roadster.....why?
What a waste.
A TC Rifle made into a pistol would be a very miserable pistol indeed.
Now if you are into leather, chains football shoulder pads with metal spikes and purple spiked Mohawks, it might fit.

Why?
30 minutes with a sawsall and I can turn my ‘51 coupe in to a roadster.....why?
What a waste.
A TC Rifle made into a pistol would be a very miserable pistol indeed.
Now if you are into leather, chains football shoulder pads with metal spikes and purple spiked Mohawks, it might fit.
That,s funny! Well there are .50 cal pistols right?

Does anyone know if I can turn a T/C Hawken into a Pistol? I know it is prohibited by the ATF when it comes down to modern centerfire,s. Im sure some builder,s out there will have an answer on this. Thanks, SM
All I know is, muzzle loading pistols are not firearms to the Feds; state law may vary. I wouldn't hesitate to do it at all. Again, state laws apply. It's a cool idea. Some guys have made .45-70 trapdoors into pistols but that's a cartridge thing. (Pre-1898 could apply there.) Good luck! You're thinking, which is a good thing! ;)

All I know is, muzzle loading pistols are not firearms to the Feds; state law may vary. I wouldn't hesitate to do it at all. Again, state laws apply. It's a cool idea. Some guys have made .45-70 trapdoors into pistols but that's a cartridge thing. (Pre-1898 could apply there.) Good luck! You're thinking, which is a good thing! ;)
Thanks Springfield. I had sent it out to Hoyt. and he recut .10. I still have never been able to quite get it to track correct. Front sight to the extreme right. rear sight to the extreme Left and it still prints to the right. Maybe it was not concentric when they made it. I dont want to sell my issues to someone else, thus the reinventing of whats there. I think it can be done. And in the end enjoying a pistol where the rifle could not deliver. Weigh in,s are welcome from all on this. N.C. bb guns and B.P. Firearms considered non 4473,s.....there is enough there to make a nice Pistol me thinks....

Hey I get it Sr. It was just a thought. IDK we all do that sometimes....
It’s a neat thought that I would save for the post apocalyptic future.
You know when we are all chasing each other in the desert diving cut up 4x4s and big rigs wearing hockey masks listening to Tina Turner.

What does love have to do with it?

Hey no joke.....
Thank you for this thread. I’m at the hospital!with my mom. They had to bring her by ambulance. She is a cancer pt.
This subject has been a welcome distraction. As you can see I’m a little tongue in cheek.
No joke thanks again.

Last edited:
Back