• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"army" type tarp ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jferguson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I need advice. I was in my local army "surplus" (not much true surplus anymore)store today, and asked the man if he had any scrap canvas around. He said no, but that he did have a 10 x 12 tarp he could offer me. I looked at it. He said he had it about a year. It was a brand new, olive green tarp, still folded in the plastic pouch, with a color label sheet inside, which said it was 12 oz water resistant "Mil-Spec Plus" brand, made in India, with brass grommets. He would let it go for $80. I said I wanted to wait til I could run this question by you guys here on MLF. I could not be sure it was really treated in a way that would shed water as we would expect. I KNOW it is grommeted, and olive color, etc., but as a shelter to use to train my boys, for maybe less than an authentic copy, does anyone here any experience with such India-made material, and at that price, it is a good deal? If the quality would be good, I can also use it for covering my truck and any number of other uses. Just did not want to make a purchase and find out it sucks as to quality.

For that kinda money, I would check the yellow pages for an awning shop close by....the ones around me carry sun forager canvas, which would work for all your needs for about the same money, and would be HC/PC for most all events

Northern Tool has treated canvas duck tarps in 10x12 for that price and 6x8 for $35 - both in a much more correct tan color (still with brass grommets but they will do for many events). You could try one of the 6x8s & not have much to risk.

You can buy a 12x14 tarp from Sherwin Williams for ~$40. It will be lighter, roomier and easier to deal with. Dark-colored tarps that don't breathe make for a very uncomfortable,gloomy shelter in warmer weather.

Agree with the rest, to high for what you get.You can get the same size as a painters tarp mucchhh cheaper,for a little more you can get one of Jas Towsend flys and have ties already sewed on,an water proofe to boot. And its documented in the fur trade qurterly that color wasn't invented until 1840

Dang forgot there name, surplus store in ogdon UT about the size of a football field. Same tarp but I want to say U.S. made (?) $39 is what I remember. I picked one up as an extra for elk camp. Ahhhh what is there name its two guys names ahhh

Smith and Edwards. If your in ogden send the wife & kids to a movie & go walk through Smith & Edwards, your family will come find you 2-3 hours later. Dang it!

I've got to agree with Black Hand on the best possible deal. There are plenty of places that produce/sell white canvas tarps but they cost a pretty penny. Sherwin Williams sells heavy canvas drop cloths which are heavier than the best you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. I have used an old sewing machine I purchased at the Salvation Army thrift store to sew canvas reinforcements and loops on mine. Still a heckava lot cheaper than buying a pre-made tarp and plenty waterproof too, especially after treating.

Latest posts

Back