• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Argument Time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who here always taps their prime charge out to the outer edge of the pan after closing the frizzen?

I generally do, based purely on advice and it always seems to answer quickly.
Depends on which flintlock I am shooting. My early home builds like the prime away from the TH. The last two I have made, like the prime stacked against the TH. All my flintlocks have similar TH conned liners, with simple flat faced breech plugs. Go figure that one :doh:

late to the party with my two cents worth, but Pletch's work is sound: the science is good and the methodology is solid.

having said that, you should try it out and see which method works best for your particular gun.

Make Good Smoke :)

Last edited by a moderator:
late to the party with my two cents worth, but letch's work is sound: the science is good and the methodology is solid.

having said that, you should try it out and see which method works best for your particular gun.

Make Good Smoke :)

Good news is this is the party that never ends! Heck, I even bet that six years from now, someone will see this for the first time, comment, and next thing you know it's a zombie party 😅🤣😂

I’m a prime spreader.
My push charger had a tendency to plug so i soldered a semi-circle horseshoe of brass to the end, now the charge spills out and I can spread it easily. It’s also handy when humid and the pan wants to get muddy.
But I rarely use that one since I got a springy dealie that can hover over the pan without touching. Someday I’ll make a few antler or wood ones like it..
Seems the only “fuse” hangfires I get are when the white lightning’s are plugged and I push the fouling in to the main charge along with some prime. That’s the only time I notice slow ignition.

I’ve found a larger internally coned touch hole, fine pan powder, a fast lock, and a properly hardened frizzen usually answer. When one of those are missing, I fiddle with it, as no two scenarios with one of those out of whack seem to prefer the same bandaid. Some like more powder, some less, some out, some level, etc. In those scenarios I usually look to a proper fix depending on the gun‘s application. I don’t mind slow ignition on my Smoothbore but can’t abide it on a rifle.

Jaysus, Mary, and Joseph Bob... you near gave me a heart seizure old son. For the love of all that's holy, post something/anything on YouTube so the faithful know you are living.

In addendum; thanks for your sage contribution to this thread of mine.

Back