• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second coat!!! Took from Tuesday night to Saturday night for the first coat to feel dry to the touch. Waited another 24hours and applied the second one, much thinner/less finnish on this coat. I'll get outside for some better pics once this coat is dry

Attachments

• 20240310_222307.jpg
    20240310_222307.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240310_222251.jpg
    20240310_222251.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240310_222300.jpg
    20240310_222300.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Looking sharp. Are you leaving the barrel bright, browning or bluing?

Mine with the aniline dyes isn't going to be as light as I was originally aiming for, but I've found my cherry dye and the curly maple make for a really wild red with an orange tone that has grown on me. Hybrid from where I was aiming and the dark tones that a lot of folks have been doing....It's lighter than doing AF, but not as stark red as an alkanet root cherry stock either. My black first dye run really brings out the curl and highlights any incised carving, but the sanding and final dye still make it possible to see the grain (and the chatoyance is amazing). Just running a few more coats of tung oil on my final test block, then some Renaissance wax and that's give me my final yea / nay on going ahead with the stock (hopefully by then my taller rear sight will be here too and I can get mine all finished up) :) I decided on French grey for my barrel to go with the bright finished lock.

Looking sharp. Are you leaving the barrel bright, browning or bluing?

Mine with the aniline dyes isn't going to be as light as I was originally aiming for, but I've found my cherry dye and the curly maple make for a really wild red with an orange tone that has grown on me. Hybrid from where I was aiming and the dark tones that a lot of folks have been doing....It's lighter than doing AF, but not as stark red as an alkanet root cherry stock either. My black first dye run really brings out the curl and highlights any incised carving, but the sanding and final dye still make it possible to see the grain (and the chatoyance is amazing). Just running a few more coats of tung oil on my final test block, then some Renaissance wax and that's give me my final yea / nay on going ahead with the stock (hopefully by then my taller rear sight will be here too and I can get mine all finished up) :) I decided on French grey for my barrel to go with the bright finished lock.
My first time finishing steel so I'm gonna keep it Simple. cold blue on the barrel and may leave the lock in the white. I am going to polish the barrel to 220 or 320 grit as I'm going for an overall more polished look. How do you guys go about polishing up the lock face? Or does anyone have pictures of a blued lock face that still has its bead blasted finish?

I used a fine 6" flat file to get the CNC marks out, then used 320 grit wet or dry sand paper, then 400 grit. I used Oxfor Bluing which I used 4-0 steel wool to polish most of the bluing off. It's a good idea to disassemble the lock when doing this. If you don't have a spring vice, buy one.

Attachments

• 20211108_090506_HDR.jpg
    20211108_090506_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
My first time finishing steel so I'm gonna keep it Simple. cold blue on the barrel and may leave the lock in the white. I am going to polish the barrel to 220 or 320 grit as I'm going for an overall more polished look. How do you guys go about polishing up the lock face? Or does anyone have pictures of a blued lock face that still has its bead blasted finish?

Myself, I took mine fully apart (had to get a spring vice, but it has been worth it already)...filed all the external bits (minus the battery) to start and then used some sandpaper. Back side of the frizzen is as hard as the battery, so I wasn't going to fight that down too far, but I got the worst of the blast finish off. I'm going to leave mine bright and let it acquire a patina with time.

Latest posts

Back