• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Kibler SMR barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tell me about weight of Kibler SMR barrels. What is difference by caliber? I'll be ordering one soon in either 36, 40 or 45. I've decided against the 32 as the balls are small and my fingers not very nimble

Is there a consensus agreement on caliber?

Tell me about weight of Kibler SMR barrels. What is difference by caliber? I'll be ordering one soon in either 36, 40 or 45. I've decided against the 32 as the balls are small and my fingers not very nimble

My45 SMR weighs less than the smaller bores , smaller hole versus bigger hole less barrel

Kibler's website lists the weights of the completed SMR in the different calibers. As far as caliber I have an old 36 caplock I really like so ordered my Kibler in the same caliber since I have the stuff I'll need to shoot it already and for what I do it fits the bill.

Of course the barrel with the biggest hole will be lighter than one with a small hole. I'm curious about variations in weight by caliber. For example, if the difference between a 40 and 45 is only four ounces I'd probably opt for the 40 as the greater weight would be negligible. But if there were an eight ounce difference, half a pound, I'd probably go with 45. I'm looking for the best caliber to weight ratio. I'm not a squirrel hunter so 32 isn't important to me. The rifle would mainly be a paper target gun.

What are you planning to kill with this rifle? If deer, go with a .45...If squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, go with a .40...I don't care for anything smaller than a .40 because that means a ramrod smaller than a 3/8...

Approximately 7 lb 6 oz in 32 caliber, 7 lb 3 oz in 36 caliber, slightly under 7 lbs in 40 caliber and 6 lb 10 oz in 45 caliber.

I consider the .40 the do everything caliber.

Here in PA we need the .45cal to hunt deer. I have both a .36 and a .45 in Kibler's SMR. I like them both. Both shoot very well. Depends on what you want to do with them.

Quite different but I have a TC Seneca with a 32 barrel and a 45 Barrel both are fairly light and nice to carry but the 45 feels very well balanced and I could easily walk all day with it. Doesn't cost much more than a 40 to shoot and with a quality barrel most likely very accurate.

I use my SMR 40 just for competitive shooting, it's really darn accurate and had been winning some matches.

Attachments

• 20220619_191630.jpg
    20220619_191630.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the input, guys. I've decided on 45, for weight, ram rod size, and hunting legal caliber in some states. I'm thinking resale potential when it comes time.

The kit I ordered a little while ago has a figured pear wood stock.

Not sure about all barrels but my Kibler SMR in .40 caliber has a swamped Rice barrel. Beautiful balance.

Back