• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone make a small concealable percussion pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think one of those pistols that you load by screwing the barrel onto the action would work well in that application.

CVA and probably several others used to make copies of the little Remington 5 shot .31. Smaller than many single shot pocket guns and very reliable.

something I can keep in a pocket for 1 shot?
Snakes...........OK, defense, don't waste your time! You did not ask for advice, so sorry about this note......... If you want novelty, or for killing snakes, go for it! If you want to defend yourself, better have more than one shot and a fast draw holster. You will be dead by the time you get it out of your pocket. Did not mean to preach, but the streets are getting tougher every day

The Deringer sold by Dixie is a high quality little pistol meant to be taken seriously. Mine shoots a 100 grain ball at a measured 680 fps
and is a hoot to shoot. It loads and shoots easily in a conventional manner and can be used as a tin can gun. Reloads in about one minute. Considering all this I fail to see the advantage of a screw barrel in ?ballistics?
Is that interior or exterior ballistics.

Considering all this I fail to see the advantage of a screw barrel in ?ballistics?

So the Philadelphia Derringer is the same caliber as the screw-barrel.
The Philadelphia Derringer barrel is 3.0625"
The screw-barrel pistol has a barrel of 2.375"
However, unlike the screw-barrel the Philadelphia derringer being a muzzleloader, the powder and the patched ball take up a portion of that barrel length, much more than the ball from the screw-barrel takes up in that pistol. So the screw-barrel actually acts as a longer barrel. The ball from the screw-barrel has a longer acceleration distance. THEN the screw-barrel also has a complete seal of the black powder gases, because the ball seals the chamber, and swages onto the rifling within the barrel.

THUS the screw-barrel will deliver, with a powder load equal to the Philadelphia derringer, higher muzzle velocity. Higher velocity = more deformation on impact and more damage to the target. IF one was to use shot in the screw-barrel, as a single shot snake gun, one could put more shot into the load due to the screw-barrel design, as there is more room.

These are the ballistic advantages of the the screw-barrel pistol. It doesn't mean that the Philadelphia is bad. In fact the Philadelphia derringer is about 1.5" smaller than the screw-barrel pistol.

OH and the screw-barrel kit is half the price of the Philadelphia derringer kit....

LD

The Deringer sold by Dixie is a high quality little pistol meant to be taken seriously. Mine shoots a 100 grain ball at a measured 680 fps
and is a hoot to shoot. It loads and shoots easily in a conventional manner and can be used as a tin can gun. Reloads in about one minute. Considering all this I fail to see the advantage of a screw barrel in ?ballistics?
The "advantage"occurs when the screw barrel is NOT loaded in the conventional manner. Unscrew the barrel, place powder in the chamber, place the slightly oversized ball over the chamber, and screw on the barrel. When fired, the oversized ball positively engages the rifling without ANY escape of gas or the need of a patch.

Carrying something for self-defense means your LIFE may be on the line. Do you really want to stake your LIFE on an anemic BP derringer based on 200 year old technology? Many unmentionables out there that will fill your requirements with much more reliability & lethality. Think about it! I own several BP derringers.
The 31 cal "vest pocket' will not penetrate a pumpkin shell @ 10 feet! The "screw barrel" powder chamber has a limited capacity of about 9 grains & is a powder puff! The Philly is hard to get out of a pocket because of the big hammer & is also anemic. Remember Lincoln got shot in the head at point blank range & he took hours to die. The New Orleans "Ace" is the only one that packs a marginally effective load with 20 grains of powder, a 45 cal ball, & a longer barrel, but it is more suited to boot carry than in a pocket. People used these guns in the past because that's all they had! I enjoy & shoot all my derringers, but in no way would I trust my LIFE to them. Just my two cents.

I too would recommend not carrying a single shot BP pistol for self defense. It might have a cool factor to you but it may just get you killed.

something I can keep in a pocket for 1 shot?

This is my “spitting distance” ruffian deterrent.
F7E5198E-350F-4510-A2E8-0034F55E46A7.jpeg

-Jake

i have to look up the laws for this here in California, they just recntly banned ghost guns here so I'm worried these BP firearms might fall under that law

i plan on using BP pistol for coyote/snake deterent when in the wood , not for walking the tough streets of the ghettos. I have a couple modern guns for that. i just dont want to carry a modern gun because our forestry department will not let me open-carry on trails

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back