• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers English Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone put one of these together? I am considering one - something different. I've built 4 flintlocks and currently have a half stock Hawken replica on my bench, but I have not done a pistol.

Well, I ordered one: 62 rifled barrel, brass furniture, and...the only piece of wood available...an extra $100 for a fine piece of maple. I had intended English walnut, but they have not been able to get that for a couple years. So, the heat is on. With fine wood on the line, I'll need to bring my best game!

Thanks, but it's not luck, rather patience and a steady hand that's needed. Well, given my minimal stores of patience, maybe some luck, too. It will be a while, but I will post pictures of my progress.

And, once again, a question on finish. All of my projects to date have browned barrels. I am fixing to rust blue my Hawken project. While it's an "English" pistol, the maple makes it American. Brown, blue, or "in the white". Rust blue sure looks nice, but I'm reading that many, or most, mid-18th century guns were simply polished and left to "age" in use.

True. I think I'll polish the lock and barrel and leave them, maybe a little light oil. BTW, I ended up with a 20 ga. smooth barrel. My mistake or theirs, can't say, but I'm going with it. Easier to load and clean, and the truth is I'm no pistoleer.

True. I think I'll polish the lock and barrel and leave them, maybe a little light oil. BTW, I ended up with a 20 ga. smooth barrel. My mistake or theirs, can't say, but I'm going with it. Easier to load and clean, and the truth is I'm no pistoleer.
Bonus to leaving it bright, it's a lot easier to brown/blue down the road if you choose. Little more work to take it back to bright!

Finished the Hawken. My best discovery in that project was Mark Lee's Slow Rust Blue #3. Lots of work: 5 apply, wait for the rust, and boil cycles, but it really puts a nice black finish on the barrel. I'll use that for this pistol barrel. The pieces have made it to the workbench, so ready to go.

Attachments

• Finished Hawken.jpg
    Finished Hawken.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 0
Back