• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone hunt deer with the .50 cal patched round ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would BET that if you check the various gunshops, Walmart, Kmart, Dicks, Academy, or wherever, that .50 is the MOST common caliber.

One more point to continue the drum beat:

In all the years, my wife and I have recovered exactly one round ball from deer. That was a 54 caliber that munched a whole bunch of bone before coming to rest under the hide.

Lots of deer dropped with 50 cal RBs over that span, too, but never a ball to recover. And in fact never a deer lost and never a second shot needed.

:thumbsup:

Yes and I hunt deer with my 45,, know the limits of both rifle and shooter.Shot placement is the secret answer...

Just got back with a small buck, still in the cooler. Heavy cover, 60 yds., neck shot and dropped. .490 ball, 18 pillow ticking and mink oil for my hunting lube. In one side, out just under the shoulder blade on the other side.
Back strap & onions with eggs tomorrow morning, please.

My only round ball recovered was a .490 that had passed thru both shoulders and rested under the hide other side at about 90 yds. or so. Have no problem with a .50 built a flintlock in .54 just cause I didn't have a .54 Both good. Dan.

I did once....
photobucket-20760-1366333999771_zps7d9c0e62.jpg
[/URL][/img]

.50 prb is all I use for deer. With the results I've seen, I can't see why anyone would doubt it. More than enough for whitetail.

While I have not because I do not own a .50 traditional gun, I would not hesitate to hunt deer with one. My first traditional gun was a .54 and I kind of fell in love with that caliber.

Not only have I seen the evidence of the success of others posted over and over in this forum, I have all of Brian Beckum's videos and 95% of what he shoots on those are with a .50 caliber flintlock with 80 grs of 2F and a PRB. Blood trails shown are substantial and many times the deer, even large bucks, are dropping right on the spot.

Back