• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball and blood trails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't taken my Hawken out deer hunting yet, but after speaking for a few people I have a question about blood trails. A friend who is a fanatical deer hunter in PA will only use conicals while deer hunting with his muzzleloader because of a lack of blood trails. I didn't give his opinion much thought; but after speaking with two guys who run deer retrieval dogs, one in NJ and another in NY, they both stated that they've had several retrievals where a round ball left zero to no blood trail even though it was a well placed fatal shot. Just curious about other peoples experiences.

Thanks.
Im going to be honest. Ive had good blood trails and some had none.there are so many varibles in when the shot was taken. What was the deer shot with.how high in the tree stand the hunter was.was the hunter on the ground.where did the shot hit.how soon did the excited hunter start looking. And also different times of the day when looking for blood. There is so many things to consider in answering this question. And also how much experience does the hunter have. Ive learned so much through the years of hunting and i still see things that i cant explain when trailing deer now.

IMG_3323.jpeg

IMG_3324.jpeg

You punch a 50 cal hole thru their lungs and they ain’t going far. Ball or bullet shouldn’t make much difference. Unless you’re unlucky or make a bad hit.😉
Shot was exactly where it was supposed to be ,like I said and that profile as described was lung hit at rear of lung with no blood on new snow . I now shoot Lyman Great Plains 54 and the last few on snow went feet and lay down ,one @ 136yds I watched after shot go down and sat close to a hour (did not want to spook it ) . Up and down 3 different beds but never moved 20 feet , the snow on that one attracted ravens (a HUGE blood bath ) and that is typical with big chunks of lead . I can tell you've never shot deer or anything else with a big conical and if it's less than ideal shot I want a conical every time , my deer don't always pose @ 50 yds broadside and wait for the trigger pull . I save my RB shots for squirrels as deer are hard to come by where I hunt and I have 3 freezers to keep full and have the garden for side dishes and being a meat eater I kill stuff not harvesting .Ed

Shot was exactly where it was supposed to be ,like I said and that profile as described was lung hit at rear of lung with no blood on new snow . I now shoot Lyman Great Plains 54 and the last few on snow went feet and lay down ,one @ 136yds I watched after shot go down and sat close to a hour (did not want to spook it ) . Up and down 3 different beds but never moved 20 feet , the snow on that one attracted ravens (a HUGE blood bath ) and that is typical with big chunks of lead . I can tell you've never shot deer or anything else with a big conical and if it's less than ideal shot I want a conical every time , my deer don't always pose @ 50 yds broadside and wait for the trigger pull . I save my RB shots for squirrels as deer are hard to come by where I hunt and I have 3 freezers to keep full and have the garden for side dishes and being a meat eater I kill stuff not harvesting .Ed
First, my comment wasn’t directed at you. It was a general comment on the topic at hand. Not sure why you took it so personally, but since you took it that way let me make it that way so you’re not disappointed. By your response I can tell you can’t stand it when someone is different than you.

Broad side /quartering coming or goin a conical (pure) tends to get a exit more often hence better blood trails at more yardage ,I prove it every year ! I can keep my 54/50 cal in 1/2 a 9 inch plate @190 yds (our short range ) with conicals

Yes I'd agree IF you're going beyond 100 yards, especially if you are shooting beyond 150 you should be using a conical due to the advantages with ballistic coefficient. At 190 yards with my load and sighting distance, my round ball is hitting the earth before 190 yards.

LD

First, my comment wasn’t directed at you. It was a general comment on the topic at hand. Not sure why you took it so personally, but since you took it that way let me make it that way so you’re not disappointed. By your response I can tell you can’t stand it when someone is different than you.
And your wrong again ! My other handle is stikshooter/35 yrs of instinctive shootin . You go your way and I'll go mine but my arrows get more penetration usually more blood and less noise than your RB . When you mentioned not a lot of difference is when I call BS, of course it's not even close . We don't always get to get the deer posing at the right angle/right yardage or walking /standing or maybe an obstruction you don't see but when we pull the trigger (WE) will most definitely have different results .I've done both and like I stated a big chunk of lead gets it done faster/further /and at more angles with less wounded lost deer /your mileage is for sure different than mine but don't for a sec think you know what I can or not stand for, like I said you'd be wrong/Ed

@stikshooter I am not saying that the conicals you like are not effective. I just don’t think they are necessary. A deer hit with anything can get away. Those suckers are a lot tougher than most people think. I don’t have to kill a deer to survive. Hunting is something I need to do in order to be who I am. My family can eat a couple of deer per year, but most years I just kill one because I won’t take a low percentage shot simply so I can tell everybody I killed “X” number of deer. If I needed them to survive I’d be shooting them with a centerfire rifle and not playing around with a side hammer ML.

Most of my round balls flatten out quickly and do not exit....54 or .50 cal, max. 35 yards or so. Most run a short distance (heart shot/ double lung) and collapse. I disregard the comments in the original post about retrieval dog use, etc. Obviously those are poor hits to start with, indicating poor placement and/or poor tracking/follow up.

@stikshooter I am not saying that the conicals you like are not effective. I just don’t think they are necessary. A deer hit with anything can get away. Those suckers are a lot tougher than most people think. I don’t have to kill a deer to survive. Hunting is something I need to do in order to be who I am. My family can eat a couple of deer per year, but most years I just kill one because I won’t take a low percentage shot simply so I can tell everybody I killed “X” number of deer. If I needed them to survive I’d be shooting them with a centerfire rifle and not playing around with a side hammer ML.
Only point was the conical is more effective @ more yardage than a RB ,and you said otherwise . You or anyone else will never hear me mention numbers but my daughters grew up eating deer not beef and 30+ yrs hunting with stik bows legally in 3 different states PA /NY and NJ and still donated meat to neighbors . Kids or neighbors never wanted for meat ! Muzzys came later (exclusively) and still have 3 freezer's for deer never got tired of eating deer thanks to multiple tags /Ed

Latest posts

Back