• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball in my fusil full jug choke.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone curious here's what I shot today.
62 cal fusil jug choked full. I shot a 589 patched round ball over 60 gr 3f. It went down the parrel very very easily.
Shot great. The ball measured about .012 smaller than the bore. If I deer hunt anymore I will up the powder to about 75 maybe 90 gr 3f. I quit deer hunting about 4 years ago but kinda got the itch to get one with my fusil. I built it for squirrel and turkey.

Anyone curious here's what I shot today.
62 cal fusil jug choked full. I shot a 589 patched round ball over 60 gr 3f. It went down the parrel very very easily.
Shot great. The ball measured about .012 smaller than the bore. If I deer hunt anymore I will up the powder to about 75 maybe 90 gr 3f. I quit deer hunting about 4 years ago but kinda got the itch to get one with my fusil. I built it for squirrel and turkey.
Sounds great. Nonjudgemental question,,, why up the powder? 60 to 75 grains is plenty for deer with almost any size ball. Not sure where you live, do you need the extra speed for flatter trajectory for more open country?
I'm shooting 2 different 20 gauge smoothbores, both with some variation of either a patched .595 ball, or a .610 ball sandwiched in between wads. My powder charges run about 65 to 80 grains, with one gun able to shoot well with almost any ball/patch/wad/cartridge, combo I've tried, at 65 grains 3f.
I guess what I'm saying is, unless you need the speed for flatter trajectory, I wouldn't worry too much about power, shoot the most accurate load you can come up with.

I'm not much of a smoothbore shooter with BP, but glad you are enjoying the long gun with ball and shot. Scratch that ich and then let us know how the deed, and deer, went down. Heck, we even like picts of squirrels and rabbits that succumb to shot loads, too. If it takes a new gun to prompt a fellow to seek the game in hill and dale, then the effort is worth the cost.

The up the powder charge is just looking for the best 20 ga. Load that will hold up to 30 to 35 yards and drop a turkey or squirrels. Getting closer than 35 yards for squirrel is very difficult where I hunt. Turkey about the same. I'm much more interested in #4,,#5,,or#6 patterns than round ball. I'm still going to see what I can do with rb loads.

Latest posts

Back