• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone have any ideas on ID?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I was given a rifle, and have been told it is original built in 1803, but don't know if that is true or just wishful thinking. I will attempt to attach photos, and hope it works.

th_1423202934.jpg

This rifle is .38 caliber, with a 15/16" straight octagon barrel that measures 45" from the muzzle to the drum, and weighs about 10 lbs as per my bathroom scale. It has a 13" LOP, with 4" drop at heel, a 4" tall by 1 7/8" wide buttplate.

th_1423203328.jpg

Some stock damage just ahead of the trigger guard. Looks like there was something pinned or nailed in place here, but it is now gone.

th_1423202511.jpg

Obviously a caplock, but no name or date on it anywhere. I was told this was originally built in 1803 as a flintlock and then converted, but have no way to verify this.

The rifle has 7 wide lands with narrow grooves. Also, you will see a circle around the muzzle. Is that indicative of the rifle having been relined at some point?

The sights are tiny, but very precise. So that is a blessing and a curse for hunting. The toe plate is missing a screw, and also has a modern screw put in place as an attempt to fix it. I didn't d anything except clean and oil this rifle, so the "repairs" aren't my work, but they are there. Speaking of repairs, the patch box also has a screw to hold it shut, and I have not opened it up to see if anything is inside because I didn't want to risk damaging anything. The buttstock has a "CC" carved in the cheek piece, which I assume are a previous owners initials. The barrel is lightly pitted ahead of the drum due to improper cleaning at some point. The bore is lightly pitted, but cleans up well. I have shot this rifle with 30grs 3F and a .375" RB, and got 3/4" at 25yds, and 2" at 50 yds off the bench. The barrel is pinned in place, and there is no nosecap.

Anyway, I expect to get told this isn't original, but never know without asking. Any ideas as to what it is that I have, maybe where/when/who, etc? Sorry, I don't have a lot to go on but am curious. Any thoughts are appreciated, and don't sugar coat things please, cause I really am clueless here. Thanks.

I'm not sure how to. Or at least I tried and couldn't find the IMG tag. I'll keep looking and trying though.

If you left click on a a picture in your album in Photo bucket and open it there will be a drop down of "shared links" on the right side of the page where your picture is displayed. The bottom link of this group will have an "IMG" designation to the left side of it. Left click on the link and it should automatically copy so you can post it in your thread on your rifles history.

If you need to resize the picture you can go to the tool bar when you have the picture displayed and select edit to change the size then save your edit.

Getting back to the rifle, I don't believe it was ever a flintlock for the following reasons.

First, almost all flintlock rifles use two lockbolts thru the stock rather than the one shown.

Second, the lockplate shows no sign that it was ever a flintlock. There is no trace of a frizzen screw or a screw for the frizzen spring.

Yes, the lockplate could have been changed but looking at the wood above the lockplate right behind the hammer I notice the wood extends all the way out to the lockplate's face.

With most flintlocks, this wood would be removed exposing the top of the lockplate. This exposed top surface of the lockplate is for the cock (hammer) to stop against as it reaches the bottom of its swing.

Percussion locks don't need to have a hammer stop like this because the hammer stops on top of the percussion cap on the nipple.

I also suspect the stock may be a replacement, primarily because of the poor inletting of the patchbox.
The gaping open areas around its perimeter is not what one would expect from a gunsmith capable of producing such a patchbox.

If I were to estimate the time period it was made it would be 1830-1850.

I think you are right about it being a replacement stock. The oversize wood screw in the toe plate and Phillips screws in the patchbox are definite clues. The head of the lock bolt doesn't look right either.

I wonder what wood was used for that stock (or re-stock). It's not maple or cherry - it almost looks like chestnut. Not a common wood for gun stocking.

I really wish I had answers to y'alls questions, but you're the experts here. I mean, I have no clue on what type of wood it is, but Zonie noticing the wood being where it shouldn't be if this had been a flint lock makes perfect sense to me. The odd screws, I know they aren't correct, but can't say when, who, or why they were replaced. And the inletting, well, I don't have much skill, but can probably match r beat what's around this patch box, so the replacement stock makes sense also.

Back