• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Herman Rupp 1793 Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My attempt of the 1793 Herman Rupp is finally complete. It’s been a heck of a learning process. 3 ½ years… Even with a long pause, the hours are uncountable. 1,000 build photos on my camera, so hate to even imagine! This was my learner, my basic future template, and a real build. I especially want to thank Bill Raby. Your videos taught me how to turn a board into something I can shoot! To all of you that similarly share knowledge, wherever and however, thank you. Videos freely shared by Wayne E., Mike B., Jim K., Grumpy Gunsmith, M. Yazel, et al., helped me a ton, thank you. The Rupp specific information shared by D. Taylor Sapergia on ALR forum really helped when I needed that extra spec. or photo angle. Various Lehigh Valley / Allentown-Bethlehem school rifle build photos by Tim Williams, Marvin Kemper, and Allen Martin also really helped and inspired. Thank you Terry Jo and Ryan of M.B.S.!

This is my first longrifle, save for a kit I rushed. So, it’s naturally going to have issues and that’s obviously no fault of anyone mentioned. I’ve yet to behold an original but that should change, having joined the NMLRA! Look forward to taking part in some events and especially in some classes with like-minded folks. I’ll be building from here on out, just love it.

I wanted to get some outdoor photos but will have to save that for better weather. All critiques and feedback on this rifle are appreciated.

The 1793 H. Rupp was 63.5” w/ 47.5” octagon straight barrel. His 1809 was 58 7/8” w 42.5” octagon swamped.

Specs.
Overall Length: 59”
Overall Weight: 8 1/2 lbs
Barrel: Colerain Swamped .45 Caliber / B Weight / 42” Length
Barrel Weight: Heavy!
L.O.P.: 13 3/4”
Drop @ Comb (Measured @ Point of the Nose): 1 1/4”
Drop @ Tip of Star: 1 3/8”
Drop @ Heel (Measured @ Rear-most Point of Buttplate): 3 1/4”
Drop @ Toe: 8”
Cast-off (@ Heel): 1/2”
Toe Heel: Yes, I believe it’s about 1/4”
Buttplate Width: 1 5/8”
Buttplate Height (Heel to Toe): 4 ¾”
Balance Point: Slightly forward of rear sight
Board: Red Maple (Dense / Figured) from Tiger Hunt (Mr. Barton, thank you)
Lock: Chambers Gunmakers Lock
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Beautifully done. That's not an easy kit. I have that very same kit which I've had for several years. I bought it with hopes of having more time to work on some muzzleloader projects and then work exploded. When we are able to hire more help and I eventually get my life back, I'd love to get started on my kit. I can only hope it turns out as nice as that one, you did an excellent job.

My attempt of the 1793 Herman Rupp is finally complete. It’s been a heck of a learning process. 3 ½ years… Even with a long pause, the hours are uncountable. 1,000 build photos on my camera, so hate to even imagine! This was my learner, my basic future template, and a real build. I especially want to thank Bill Raby. Your videos taught me how to turn a board into something I can shoot! To all of you that similarly share knowledge, wherever and however, thank you. Videos freely shared by Wayne E., Mike B., Jim K., Grumpy Gunsmith, M. Yazel, et al., helped me a ton, thank you. The Rupp specific information shared by D. Taylor Sapergia on ALR forum really helped when I needed that extra spec. or photo angle. Various Lehigh Valley / Allentown-Bethlehem school rifle build photos by Tim Williams, Marvin Kemper, and Allen Martin also really helped and inspired. Thank you Terry Jo and Ryan of M.B.S.!

This is my first longrifle, save for a kit I rushed. So, it’s naturally going to have issues and that’s obviously no fault of anyone mentioned. I’ve yet to behold an original but that should change, having joined the NMLRA! Look forward to taking part in some events and especially in some classes with like-minded folks. I’ll be building from here on out, just love it.

I wanted to get some outdoor photos but will have to save that for better weather. All critiques and feedback on this rifle are appreciated.

The 1793 H. Rupp was 63.5” w/ 47.5” octagon straight barrel. His 1809 was 58 7/8” w 42.5” octagon swamped.

Specs.
View attachment 293961View attachment 293962View attachment 293963View attachment 293964View attachment 293965View attachment 293966
Sexy

Specs.
View attachment 293961View attachment 293962View attachment 293963View attachment 293964View attachment 293965View attachment 293966

Latest posts

Back