• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody going after January squirrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue a.... Cold this morning in the woods. My beard was a frost frozen stiff mess. I could hardly keep my glasses unfogged. Saw 5 deer about 100 plus yds out. No shots. Saw about 5or 6 squirrels. One at less than 10 ft. They know I'm deer hunting!BJH

Planning a February squirrel hunt in N. Fla. with my brother and a friend. They will be using caplocks and I'll use my .36 flinter.

I will be going for squirrels here in N.C. . I use a 36 cal TVM poor boy, I have had for a number of years. Very accurate and great fun shooting at squirrels. Lots of them around here . Weather will be a factor though. If it gets to cold the squirrels seem to hold up . But I will go anyhow. As it is a delight to walk in the forest with a flinlock rifle.

buck and ball said:
If it gets to cold the squirrels seem to hold up.
They are definitely "southern squirrels"...when its this cold for them there's almost no point in going at first light

buck and ball said:
If it gets to cold the squirrels seem to hold up . But I will go anyhow. As it is a delight to walk in the forest with a flinlock rifle.

Exactly! I went today despite cold and wind. Didn't figure I'd see any, but any time in the woods is good time spent. Did see a small pine squirrel that sat there 30 feet away, but they are so small, no meat on 'em. Also kicked out a ruffed grouse, but that season ended Jan 1. So my trophy for today is just the beauty of God's creation.

01042014 Looking Down Trout Valley by mdheaser

One more week of deer.Tues&Wed calling for -5 low and 8 high.
Dogs are ready for bunnies and when they take a break I'll go for squirrels.

Too cold to be out walking around here in the snow. However, I might put some corn in the squirrel feeder. Then take the screen off the window and wait for the little buggers to show up.

I live and hunt in Virginia. This year we get the last 2 weeks in Jan for Turkey and the end of Feb for squirrels.

Tree rat season goes to the last of Jan here in Wv. If the weather gets good enough I will take the girl friend and go a couple times. The coyotes have killed everything but the Squirrels. All I do is load a .32 cal and sit and watch them. Haven't killed one for a lot of years. I think Squirrel is about the best tasting animal in the woods. Guess when you get older it's no fun killing but still fun to hunt. Larry

We've fortunate here in Texas to have what amounts to a year long open season on rabbit and squirrel. Of course, most of the muzzleloader guys wait till after the first couple freezes to prevent getting critters with parasites or other cruddies. Beer season lasts till January 19, then there is a particularly tiresome squirrel and his friends are going to find the guy up the tree is after them...see how they like being lunch. Though with my luck, the deer will all be out warning the squirrels! :doh: :rotf:

I have 14 in the freezer already. We have a wild game supper at my church in Feb. and I will be bringing the squirrel & dumplins. I have been hunting with my 12 ga smoothbore using #5 shot.Most of my squirrels are taken 25-30 yds. Avg 3-5 shot in each squirrel.
I will be going again after this cold spell moves through and get a few for squirrel& gravy with biscuits. Hope you have good luck with those bushy tails.

Wayne/Al

Well, it was 9* here this morning so the squirrels got a pass again...LOL.
Stayed in and got some projects done including the annual overhaul of the .40cal...so it's showroom ready again.
But the doggone weather is forecast down at 10* in the morning, only a degree warmer than this morning...so looks like more indoor projects tomorrow.
The good news is temps will begin to ease back up some day after tomorrow...40's, 50's, 60's during the next few days.
The bad news is rain is forecast on those warm days so I'll just have to keep playing it by ear, day by day, just for a different reason

:td: -4 at 9:00 this morning,with wind.Think i'll pass.Maybe the weekend.Griz

It was 6.5 here in Hamptonville NC . Waaayy to cold for squirrel hunting. Reached 24.5 during the day. Even the cat would not go out. Waiting game now with weather.

-15 here in western Wv. Expect I will wait awhile. Our Calico cat had frost on it this morning. Guess the 35 mph breeze didn't help. That cat went Deer hunting with me almost every day. If I didn't take it it tracked me down. Larry

I kill (not hunt) squirrels all year on my property. If I don't that 'squirrel' up the electrical transformers and we get power outages. Plus they do other damage. I just shoot from my back door with a no-no and leave them for the 'yotes and coons.
But, with the serious cold this winter I haven't seen many at all. Must be napping.

Back