• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody going after January squirrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
With North Carolina's deer season ending yesterday, next available for me are squirrels through the end of February. I've used a .40cal the past couple years, planning to try a 28ga this time, see what I can do with it.
Anybody else going after them this month?

Our deer season closes in a couple of days. So I guess I will be after the bushy tails until the end of Feb. I'm not sure on the choice of weapons yet .32cal .36cal or .62 smooth bore.

I plan on going with my Dad and his dogs (2 mtn. curs and 2 fiest-curs) some over the next two months. I will take my 66 smooth bore most likely and shoot #6 shot like I would at turkeys. Sometimes a shot load is not adequate when they are in the very top of a tree partially hidden. The 45 caliber is a better choice for those. Neither is the best choice.

With Saturday being the last of deer season and Me having to work, I'll be hunting for squirrels til the end of Feb, with two weeks the end of Jan. for turkey hunting. Going to hunt both with my Cherokee .32.

i am not hunting anything but squirrels this year so i'll be after em til seanons end which will be late feb early march.

creek

Its been cold here they are denned up pretty good and not moving a whole lot right now. Need a sunny warm day to get them moving and out of hiding. Same with the coons I havent trapped a coon in 8 days now they just don't wanna die i guess. Theres not even tracks anywhere in the snow except for rabbits, coyotes, and deer.

Most certainly! We have until the end of Feb in Minnesota. As 2Tall stated, though, it's been so darned cold here they haven't been out much. Best to hit them from around 10AM until 2PM on a bright sunny near windless day....if we could get one!

Early next week our HIGH temperatures are going to be 15 BELOW zero F! :shocked2: Windchills that can freeze any exposed skin in minutes. Have some gun projects I think I'll work on instead!

roundball said:
With North Carolina's deer season ending yesterday, next available for me are squirrels through the end of February. I've used a .40cal the past couple years, planning to try a 28ga this time, see what I can do with it. Anybody else going after them this month?
Deer hunting gear all reorganized / cleaned / put away...28ga and squirrel hunting items ready & organized into a hunting vest.

The only thing in my way is the arctic blast that's moved in...wind chill in the single digits for a few days...definitely not as cold as distant northern latitudes routinely get but I don't have the heavy hunting clothes, etc, to deal with it...so the electric blanket wins, LOL.

Meanwhile, since I won't be using the .50/.58/.62cals anytime soon I'll take advantage of being shut in and get them 100% disassembled, clean & lube every square inch perfectly, polish up all the brass again, and store them away.

to tiny around here to be worth my time, I don't even know when I am allowed to shoot them

Now there are some nice big ones down in the city park in Spokane, but I think the town fathers and local police would take a dim view on someone hunting them. :)

Right...and I have 2 heaters going right now in the attached garage/workshop to warm it up for shirt-sleeve work on rifles this afternoon.

And interestingly, just checking the weather forecast again for an area I squirrel hunt it no longer shows 17mph winds in the morning...practically dead calm at 1-2mph in the morning and improved temps..... :hmm:

Going to have to warm up a bit before I try squirrels....got down to 5 degrees last night and early next week will be 10 to 12 degrees below zero...to cold for this here old coot! I don't think BP will even ignite at these temps... :rotf: seriously though, one would have to clean any oil from the locks on their guns cause at these temps the hammer may move so slow there would be no spark! :wink:

I would like to but there are no acorns around this part of the woods this year.I have seen three squirrels all of deer season two of were new years day they were eating bark off the white oak they were living in.Them squirrels were nun to fat!

roundball said:
Right...and I have 2 heaters going right now in the attached garage/workshop to warm it up for shirt-sleeve work on rifles this afternoon.

And interestingly, just checking the weather forecast again for an area I squirrel hunt it no longer shows 17mph winds in the morning...practically dead calm at 1-2mph in the morning and improved temps..... :hmm:

Well, I got the .50cal Dickert disasssembled / cleaned / lubed / reassembled showroom ready, back asleep in it's case, so that's one done.
And I may still roll over when the alarm goes off in the morning but right now I've decided to try squirrels tomorrow. The 28ga is loaded, gear is all pulled together, just have to answer the alarm...we'll see.

Thought about putin some corn out for them but then when they see me in the woods they would be arunin around my feet!! :haha: :haha:

Mike payne said:
Thought about putin some corn out for them but then when they see me in the woods they would be arunin around my feet!! :haha: :haha:
and that would defeat the purpose of hunting them....
get someone else to feed them and every time you go out there throw rocks at them and yell a lot

gonpce,

In what state do you hunt turkeys in late Jan., with a rifle? Sounds like a nice place.

Back