• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Pictures of Linstocks & Handgonne Supports?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrufflerSteve

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm going to be taking an into blacksmithing class next week. I was told that I'd have some time to work on my own projects. Two things that come to mind are a somewhat traditional linstock and a supporting yoke for my large handgonne. It has a pretty crude support right now that doesn't fir well. I'd appreciate any link to pictures that are good - but not too ornate. After all, its a beginning class.

Steve

This is one crafted by Magnus Wiberg of Sweden. He's listed in the Pre-Flintlock Builder's list.

muskotgaffel.jpg

cp.gif

For those who need to know.. here is how the 'smith did it.

He started with a piece of 1/4 stock, approx 1 inch wide and 7 long. Using a chisel, he cut it into the following shape and split it down the center:

metal.jpg

He then forged the bottom into a cone (a technique he learned in making early Celtic tools), and then drew out the top two pieces into the fork.

:v

Thanks for all the help. I don't know how much stuff I'll be able to make but it will be fun.

Steve

I'm back from my trip. The blacksmithing course was a lot of fun. Here's my first attempt at a yoke:
gonne_yoke1.jpg

It does need some tweaking but it should mount to a 2" dowel. The gonne behind it has a 1 1/2" inch bore.

I'm going to do a little more grinding and polishing before painting. The blacksmith told me that a quick way tofix it to a pole is to put the end in a forge until foring temperature and then quickly take it on and off the post burning down to a good fit. Unfortunately, I don't have a forge - yet.

The fellow who sold me the gonne said that the color of the paint on the tiller isn't significant. It just came from the Home Depot whoops pile. I'm inclined to paint it red. Any suggestions?

Steve

I know that gonne, it came from the Shoemaker. Actually green is probably more PC. But whatever suits you. The piece is based on a swiss piece, though the barrel is a bit of artistic license. You can see similar types on Benvenuto's website at:
[url] http://homepages.ihug.com[/url].au/~dispater/handgonnes.htm

CP

Last edited by a moderator:
Back