• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

October 2021 Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fall is now officially upon us here in the northern hemisphere, the days are getting shorter, temperatures are beginning to drop, leaves are beginning to change color from green to beautiful shades of red, orange, and yellow. Before you know it we'll be out in the woods again stalking turkey and deer, and enjoying the holidays with family and friends. First up is Halloween with ghosts, goblins, and pumpkins!

What better way to sharpen our shooting skills and get into the Halloween spirit than a bit of pumpkin carving!

Download and print your target attached below. Write your forum screen name on the front of your target as soon as you print it!

This is a Six shot target. Fire one shot at eac bull! Misses count!

Scoring
The bulls are worth 10pts each.

Other areas outside the bulls are as marked.

Watch out for the 2 outer pumpkin segments and the stem, -5pts if you land a shot there!

The shooting distance for this contest is 25 yards.
No do-over’s. Print and shoot one target only. One rifle and one pistol is acceptable.
Only registered forum members may participate.

If you would like please take a picture of your target and post it on the forum under this months (October) shoot to share with other members. However, to be officially scored and posted in the final results you must still mail in your target unless you are overseas as noted below.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it) NO Cannons. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Pistol will be in their own class. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots shall be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc. unless you're an overseas participant...
Overseas participants may scan and e-mail me. Just send me a PM through the forum and attach it or I'll give you my e-mail address. As long as I can CLEARLY make the target out I'll accept it.** (I recommend using a dark backing paper when you scan / copy it if possible so that the holes show clearly)

Old Eyes - Small Targets, What To Do?
Considering the nature of the event being, a print and mail target and there being no prize other than bragging rights, the object is to encourage shooters to shoot and share their results, whatever they may be, in hopes we can all learn a bit. In September 2020 shoot participants overwhelmingly voted to adjust the rules to allow adding color to the target(s) to add contrast to better see the intended point of impact. This can be done at the individual shooters desire, this is optional.
Note: This may not be necessary with all targets but it has been adopted as a standing rule.

Pistol Class:
For those who would like, you can shoot one target with long gun and one with pistol. Please mark your target accordingly.

How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring ring to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the ring in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Fire 6 shots only, misses count! Mutilated targets or targets with more than 6 holes will be disqualified. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mail your target, postmarked no later than October 31st to:

Chris Duncan
1260 N Osage rd
Mulvane, KS 67110
Attn: October Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort.

Thanks for shooting, now lets get out there and make smoke!

Attachments

• Pumpkin Carving.pdf
    115.3 KB · Views: 312
I shot mine Sunday during our club monthly shoot. It is a pitiful sight, pun intended. 😁. I aimed one shot at each black spot. But you can’t tell it by looking at the result. I did much better on most of the club targets.

I shot old reliable: TC .50 Renegade cap lock, 45 grains Old Eynsford 3f, .015 w/moose milk around my self cast .495 round ball.

I will drop it in the mail this week.

Thanks for hosting the shoot!

Attachments

• 1D47AF7D-DCDA-4ADB-B41D-8BB37EB359B3.jpeg
    1D47AF7D-DCDA-4ADB-B41D-8BB37EB359B3.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 109
Nice day for punkin' plunkin'. Here's what I got this month, one of those bottom ones in the middle was supposed to be on the one on the left....oh well. Challenging target.

Pedersoli Frontier .50 cal percussion
25 yds off hand
50 grains Triple 7 2f
.480 ball (first time I tried the .480's...sure load nice)
.015 patch
PhotoFunia-1634496950.jpg
...thanks for hosting the match! RR
Ocober 17th 2021 Frontier 50.jpg

Nice day for punkin' plunkin'. Here's what I got this month, one of those bottom ones in the middle was supposed to be on the one on the left....oh well. Challenging target.

Pedersoli Frontier .50 cal percussion
25 yds off hand
50 grains Triple 7 2f
.480 ball (first time I tried the .480's...sure load nice)
.015 patch
View attachment 99947
...thanks for hosting the match! RR
View attachment 99948
Nice, you seem to have lost nothing by going to a .480 ball. Ease of loading alone makes it worth a try. Nice shooting.

Back