• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1853 Enfield two flash holes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklyn2468

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have an interesting problem. I assembled a Traditions 1853 Enfield at the beginning of 2021. The side lock nipple hole had the expected flash hole and in addition a small porosity at the bottom of the threaded area a mm behind the flash hole. It was small and viewed it as a superficial porosity in the metal. This past summer I shot it on multiple occasions, working up a load and trying various Minie balls, went to a few shoots etc. No problems. I clean the rifle carefully after each use and there is no rust or corrosion on any part of the rifle. I'm using 50 grains of T7 and a 405 Minie. We had some warm weather in VT and shot the rifle this past week and noticed an extremely large numbers of misfires and hangfires, quite unlike the summer. I know it's probably weather related and am planning to switch back to GOEX. Anyway, I cleaned the rifle after shooting and viewed the "porosity" had coalesced with the original flash hole making a large surface opening at the bottom of the nipple side lock. The surface opening separates into two channels(there is a bridge of metal separating the holes) and both open into the bore of the barrel. I can place a thin needle into each hole and see it in the bore when looking down the lighted .58 cal barrel. So does anyone have an idea as to how this happened? If Traditions declines to fix this, it looks like my next step is to remove the breech plug ans see what is actually going on. I'm unsure if repairing this rifle is a good idea because I may need a new barrel and breech plug. If so I'm a good portion of the way to getting a new or different rifle. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated including replacement rifles. I've posted a few pictures, they may need to be enlarged to see the two distinct flash holes.
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0320.jpg

I also have the Traditions Enfield, also bought in 2021 and mine does not have a second flash hole. I'm shooting 48 grains of Old Eynsford ffg pushing a 465 grain Rapine mold Minie' at .578. I went through a period last fall where I had a number of misfires and a couple hang fires. My issue turned out to be a combination of storing the rifle butt down, less than perfect cleaning of the lead fouling down around the plug and being too generous with the Ballistol down the bore. Once I got over that hump, she's shot like clockwork. I "roll" my own cartridges and have no issue shooting some I rolled 6 months ago. Weather may play a part to some degree, but if you're shooting at competitions, I don't suspect your storing your powder with the lids off on the back porch!
IMG_20210706_163226_3.jpg

It's not a second flash hole.

Those flash holes are drilled at an angle after the nipple hole is drilled.

Looks like the center drill or drill bit nicked the pocket before it drilled where it was supposed to.

And it's not big enough to create any problem at all. Cosmetic.

And Traditions wouldn't be on the hook to fix what is obviously a well used barrel.

Thanks for the replies. I sent the pictures to Traditions and they want me to send them the barrel. It didn’t take any convincing. A wire can be placed in each of the two holes at the same time without interfering with each other. There is definitely a metal wall separating the two holes as both holes travel towards the bore. There may be a common opening on the bore side. I originally thought as 64Springer stated but am not sure now that I’ve looked at it more closely. Since it’s a relatively new rifle and the secondary flash hole is enlarging I didn’t want to void the warranty by pulling the breech plug. I imagine Traditions will look at the flash hole from the bore side or remove the breech plug and advise me of what they found.

Thanks for the replies. I sent the pictures to Traditions and they want me to send them the barrel. It didn’t take any convincing. A wire can be placed in each of the two holes at the same time without interfering with each other. There is definitely a metal wall separating the two holes as both holes travel towards the bore. There may be a common opening on the bore side. I originally thought as 64Springer stated but am not sure now that I’ve looked at it more closely. Since it’s a relatively new rifle and the secondary flash hole is enlarging I didn’t want to void the warranty by pulling the breech plug. I imagine Traditions will look at the flash hole from the bore side or remove the breech plug and advise me of what they found.
It will take some time, but I’d definitely let Traditions handle it.

There are acres and acres of steel surrounding that flash hole. And if there are two channels, so what. Take pipe cleaners and clean both channels.

Nothing negative will happen if you shoot that rifle the way it is.

You have a barrel that was fitted to that stock. You have barrel bands that were fitted to that stock/barrel. You have a rear sight base that was fitted to that barrel.

Weigh what you might gain against what you might lose.

Not only that 64Springer, I glass bedded the stock/ barrel. I didn't want to take out the plug and find all I accomplished was voiding the warranty. I'm not asking Tradition for a new barrel, only their plan to address what l'm seeing. If Tradition says all OK as is, I can live with that.
Best case, Tradition (somehow) repairs this so there is only one flash hole.
Barrel, bands and stock dimensions are unchanged and all fit as they did before
repair. Least desirable outcome is
Traditions trashes the barrel and sends me a new one. I bought the Enfield as a kit and it took many, many hours of parts adjustment to get the parts fitting correctly. A new barrel is a lot of work.
Thanks for the reinforcement that the rifle is ok to shoot as is.

I will be sure to post Traditions recommendations.

Update:
Hello all, I didn’t forget you!
I sent the barrel to Traditions to look at the irregular flash holes ,mid February, and this morning I received an email from them:
“Our gunsmiths inspected your barrel and sent pictures of the affected area to our engineering department. They have determined that this barrel should not be used any further for safety concerns.

Therefore, we have placed an order for a replacement barrel for you.”

So a replacement barrel is on the way, which will have to be fitted to the glass bedded existing stock. No complaints, it is what it is. Traditions stood behind its products and addressed my concerns and in my opinion acted responsibly. Thanks to all for the previous replies and appreciate the input and suggestions.
Franklyn

Back