• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any conical lovers here.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbugle

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a .54 GPH with the Lyman 57gpr rear sight to attempt to extend my hunting range. I was feeling limited to about 75 yards with my GPR. I reside in flat open country and extended range is a benefit. I know that the conicals will have much more recoil. Is there significantly more accurate range to be had compared to prb to justify this added recoil.
Thanks Don

You can push a round ball pretty far but it'll run out of gas quickly.
Conical bullets definitely have the killing power at greater distances.
Recoil, yes! But you can get a nice recoil pad for your rig.

Look up posts by Idaho Ron or Idaho Lewis on here and you will see what they can do with their set-ups. Sidelock percussion guns with fast twist barrels and aperture sights. Its darn impressive. They mostly post on the sister site Modern Muzzleloader though. Lots of info and videos from them over there.
Walk

Easy path forward, stop North American game with buffalo gun, a TC .50 Renegade rebored to shoot as cast bullets from off the shelf molds made for fifty caliber rifles. It would be nice if the Renegades had a little more barrel length but TC made them like they made them.

I have a light ( 6 &1/2 lbs) percussion rifle, .50 caliber, with a 1-38 twist that absolutely loves the Lyman 400 grain plains bullet, lubed with SPG, 70 grains of 3f Swiss and a lubed Ox Yoke wool .56 cal wad overpowder. From a 24 inch barrel, 1350 fps. Attention getting recoil... She will however, put 10 into a little over an inch at 50 yards, and about 2 1/2" at 100.
Bead front and aperture rear sight, btw.

I have had pretty good luck with faster twists (1-28) and paper patched conicals in 45 caliber. Can usually hit a 12” steel plate all day at 300 yards off of sticks or a rest provided I can clearly see the plate and my sights. For hunting wouldn’t go past 150 yards unless going after a previously hit animal. Issue quickly becomes knowing the EXACT range as the distance grows. Misjudge distance by 10 or 15 yards and you may wound or miss your game. If you go long figure on making a sight adjustment every 15 to 25 yards and using Kentucky windage to stay on target. Plan on a lot of practice. Difficult to quickly know exact distance on game animals as they can be difficult to pickup in a rangefinder. Something about brown on brown. Snow can help.

I also have a fast twist 50 caliber and two 54 calibers. Looping trajectories and recoil only get more challenging as you go to larger calibers. You will also want to look at a globe front sight, though it can be less visible in low light. I’m using Lyman globe and Lee Shavers inserts as may others do. And for what it is worth, I usually only go with paper patched conicals if I’m in a spot where an open 150 yard shot is likely. I can reach to 100 or so yards quite well with a patched round ball, and 100 yard plus shots are fairly rare where I hunt most of the time.

Most of the above came about for me based on suggestions from guys like @Idaho Ron and a few others.

Good luck with your 54 caliber GPH. Conicals and that crescent butt plate can really rock you with stout charges.

Yes I like conicals also. This evening I cast sixty 560 grain grain hollow base .54 bullets for my old N Whitmore slug gun. Thirty at 40 -1 lead/tin and the other thirty pure lead. Will be testing these with two paper strips at bore diameter. Last time out testing, used a little shorter version of this bullet. At two hundred yards the old girl was making consistent 2 1/2 inch five shot groups. That was in the wind in Eastern Montana. Loading with a brass measure with funnel attached. This time I'll measure out the charges in glass vials and use a loading tube. Trouble is the wind blows in Idaho also. Maybe I'll get lucky with a calm day.

Attachments

• 560 grain bullets for N Whitmore.JPG
    560 grain bullets for N Whitmore.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 94
I use REAL conicals, and minie balls in my 58, 54, and have a custom REAL for my 40 cal. I plan on using it this fall on deer. I like non prb, but the tried and true work for MOST hunting. Idaho Ron has done VERY impressive work with his fast twist paper patched bullets, but not the cup of tea for some here.
My Navy Arms Musketoon will put 500gr RCBS minies under 3 inches at 100 yards. And most of my hunting is under 75, so I'm set.

they are great no patching, just push them into the powder and have at it.

I bought my one and only muzzleloader, a T/C Hawkin .54 cal kit rifle, back about 1990 as a "why not try it" venture. I chose .54 as elk and moose are the primary pursuit here, with whitetails and mulies being incidentals while out hunting. My hunting rifles at the time were (and are) 30 Newton and 358 Norma Magnum, so I was open to exploring different paths.

But I am also lazy, so I wanted to try conicals to avoid the bother of patching. And I decided a heavy conical would be best for critters the size of elk and moose so a twist rate favourable to conicals was also the ticket. The T/C Hawkin, as I remember from back then, was the only rifle in the non-Internet days I could find in catalogues that fit that bill.

As I wasn't invested in completely traditional. I ordered one of Lyman's combo moulds with a conical and ball cavity. The grouping with the conicals after I worked up a load was so satisfying at 200 yards that the plastic container of balls I cast the day I started is sitting somewhere unopened and the patching material intended for shooting has long since disappeared being used for cleaning. I did install one of their rear aperture sights from the beginning, and that obviously helped tremendously. And I HAVE shot an elk at just a shade over 200 yards by pace that I couldn't get any closer to; the results were immediate and satisfying. Boom - flop.

One thing... the recoil is quite stout. The killer curve in that brass buttplate owns much of the blame for that. I shoot with a recoil pad at the range (with all my rifles above .22 caliber, always have) which makes it not that big a deal, and when shooting at animals, I never think of or notice it. HOWEVER... 30 years later, I'm a senior citizen and not quite as beefy as I was 30 years ago when I was an infantryman in the military. I think a day will come when I will have to consider lightening up on the charges and/or putting a .50 cal barrel on instead - shooting conicals. Or maybe a replacement stock with a flat/wider butt, perhaps still fitted with a kinda traditional brass buttplate.

I did consider a drop in subcaliber .32 barrel with a fast twist for conicals for fun... but the $300+ price tag for that drop in was more pricey than what I was interested in. I have no quarrel with the asking price, and 30 years ago I would have paid it gladly. But I have a lot more hours of shooting at the range or hunting behind me than I have in front of me at my age. As it is, I have a problem keeping the dust shot off all my rifles, shotguns, and handguns. The sub caliber would probably end up collecting more dust than time being shot.

Anyways, in my very limited experience, getting conicals to deliver the goods in my T/C Hawkin .54 was easy, probably because of the favourable twist rate to begin with. I don't know whether Lyman still makes that combo mould; if not they're probably available on Fleabay or some of the other market sites.

Idaho Ron, many here know of him just got a big Bull Elk at 248y. He was using a 450+ grain .50 PP bullet. He was only using 80gr of Pyrodex too. He said it dropped in place too and the bullet retained like 98% of it's weight.

Idaho Ron, many here know of him just got a big Bull Elk at 248y. He was using a 450+ grain .50 PP bullet. He was only using 80gr of Pyrodex too. He said it dropped in place too and the bullet retained like 98% of it's weight.
now that is what I am looking for. Sounds like a great shot and I am sure a great story to come.

I came to love the Hornady Great Plains Bullet in .50 caliber and I have managed to acquire some 200 of it in .45 caliber and 45 of those in .54 caliber.

I have only shot it out of my CVA Bobcat, .50 caliber. I hope to try it in my other rifles at some point.

I recently got hold of some 7 boxes of Thompson Center Maxi Balls and Maxi Hunters in .58 caliber...I have not tried any of those either.

now that is what I am looking for. Sounds like a great shot and I am sure a great story to come.
He use to post here but I don't think he's been here in awhile. You can see his story over at castboolits in the M/L section.

I see he now has it posted here in the hunting section.

Last edited:
Back