• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chrono results for Pedersoli Blue Ridge in .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
Took my Pedersoli Blue Ridge in .54 (39" barrel, 1 in 65 twist) percussion to the range yesterday and tried 3 different powders, Swiss, Goex, and 777, all 3f. Used .015 linen for my patches, except where noted when I used .020 pillow ticking, which gave about 50-60 fps faster using like charges. Fired 5 shots to figure the average for each load, thouroughly cleaning the barrel between 5 shot strings. All PRB's were Hornady .530 balls. This rifle has always been a tack driver, and all the various loads strike at nearly the same point of impact. Pic attached is a 100 yard target I used for aligning my shots over the chrono, and while not shooting for groups, I am very pleased with the results! Top group (20+ shots) is the conical impacts, bottom group (also 20+ shots) is the PRB impacts. I have owned this rifle for decades, having purchased it when they were readily available for about $239 new. They are slightly more now! I did not shoot conicals with 90 gr. charges of 777 or Swiss, as I like my shoulder where it currently resides, and don't need a broken wrist on my rifle. Just for info, the chrono results very nearly match my chrono data for my Pedersoli .54 Rocky Mountain Hawken (34" barrel) they are within shot to shot variation using identical loads.
20220922_140152.jpg
20220922_135819.jpg

75 GRAIN SWISS PRB. .015 linen

1670 avg. very consistent ext. spread 32 fps

90 GRAIN SWISS PRB .015 linen

1885 avg. Ext Spread 24 fps

90 GRAIN SWISS PRB .020 pillow ticking

1944 fps. Ext. Spread 11 fps!!

60 GR. SWISS PRB .015 linen

1492 avg. Ext. Spread 22 fps

60 GR. SWISS CONICAL LEE 300 GR.

1423 fps. Spread 57 fps

75 GR. SWISS LEE 300 GR. CONICAL

1540 avg. extreme Spread 19 fps

HODGDON 777 75. GR., LEE 300 GR. CONICAL

1558 avg. ext. spread 103 fps

HODGDON 777 60 GR. LEE 300 GR. CONICAL

1370 avg. ext. spread 66 fps

HODGDON 777 60 GR. PRB .015 Linen

1395 avg. 15 fps spread

HODGDON 777 75 GR. PRB .015 Linen

1650 avg. Spread 51 fps

HODGDON 777 90 GR PRB .015 LINEN

1841 fps avg. 44 fps ext. spread

GOEX 90 GR. PRB .015 LINEN

1653 avg. 52 fps spread

GOEX 75 GR. PRB .015 LINEN

1510 avg. 27 fps spread

GOEX 60 GR. PRB. .015 LINEN

1335 avg. 76 fps spread

GOEX 60 GR. LEE 300 GR. CONICAL

1275. Avg. 47 fps spread

GOEX 75 GR. LEE 300 GR. CONICAL

1390 avg. 65 fps spread

GOEX 90 GR. LEE 300 GR. CONICAL

1586 avg. 56 fps spread. (Recoil harsh!)

That is excellent information you gleaned from your test. The best loads really stand out and deserve spending time with. Those 100 yard targets look my 25 yard best. :thumb:

Well, if I were a deer or such, I would'nt give a hoot about your velocity numbers, I'd be very worried however about that accuracy though.

Excellent shooting and good report. And don't sell that rifle. Some will tell you a slow twist won't shoot a conical but your test proves them wrong. I have a .50cal GPR with 1-60 twist and it will shoot like that at 90 yards with Lee 360gr Minnies and Lee 320gr REAL bullet. I don't need to mention how well it shoots PRB.

That is really impressive shooting! Is that with a regular notch rear sight and post front sight?

That is really impressive shooting! Is that with a regular notch rear sight and post front sight?
Yes, but I replaced the garbage factory front sight many years ago with something more visible and much thinner, so as not to cover the target. The long sight radius and distance of the rear sight from my eye still allows me to shoot decently with my old, reading glass, wearing peepers. I am a big sissy now, and don't hunt small game anymore, but back in the day I shot squirrels and bunnies in the head with this rifle at pretty good distances. 30 grains of whatever powder and a prb did the trick. I'm just about done deer hunting, i just have gone soft and can't hardly stand killing anything but a target of some sort anymore. As to a previous post, I will never sell any of my guns, they have too many memories for me. Also I bought them cheap many years ago, and would never be able to replace them. I have two Pedersoli SxS shotguns, a 12 and 20 gauge, that I haven't shot in well over 20 years. I paid less than $500 for the pair, brand new. Those days are gone.

A .54 I own has 1-66" twist and is extremely accurate with prb. I was shooting it at targets one day and thought I'd see what a T/C Maxihunter would do at the 60 yard target. The previous prb groups were exellent as usual. I loaded and fired 5 maxihunter bullets and walked up to see the results. I was a bit surprised when the maxi group, which was a little over twice the size of the prb groups, hit the same poa as the prb. The palm size group was easily good enough for hunting at that range. Never hunted with them however, I'm a round ball shooter/hunter exclusively.

I must need to get a new eyeglass prescription, I wouldn’t even be able to see those targets at 100yds. Lol. Good shooting!!!!!

Last edited:
Yes, but I replaced the garbage factory front sight many years ago with something more visible and much thinner, so as not to cover the target. The long sight radius and distance of the rear sight from my eye still allows me to shoot decently with my old, reading glass, wearing peepers. I am a big sissy now, and don't hunt small game anymore, but back in the day I shot squirrels and bunnies in the head with this rifle at pretty good distances. 30 grains of whatever powder and a prb did the trick. I'm just about done deer hunting, i just have gone soft and can't hardly stand killing anything but a target of some sort anymore. As to a previous post, I will never sell any of my guns, they have too many memories for me. Also I bought them cheap many years ago, and would never be able to replace them. I have two Pedersoli SxS shotguns, a 12 and 20 gauge, that I haven't shot in well over 20 years. I paid less than $500 for the pair, brand new. Those days are gone.
Jjust to put $$ in perspective, 20 or so years ago a person could actoally buy something of value for $500 as you have stated.
It seems you may not have been shopping lately . I go with the wife a few times a year and am always shocked.
I retired 23years ago and am quite certain that the
loss of buying power has never been higher ,
even in the 70`s , the early 50`s were also bad .
A shopping cart not full or extravagant purchases $160 at Sam`s Club.
I buy one case of beer per month and the price has at least doubled in yhe pas 10 years.
Has anyone needed to get a new automotive battery lately? Wow!

Buzz

Thanks for sharing your info. I'm disappointed withe the Goex results you got (high spread deviation). I wonder what the actual accuracy differences would show up between the Goex and Swiss?

Back