• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another thought (to me) for making a patchbox hinge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Doing a Kentucky rifle build now, and contimplating my upcoming need for the patchbox. All my scratch build patchboxes have been with the hinge parallel to the butt plate. I have never made a PB with the hinge perpendicular to the butt plate but would like to. I always struggle with making the knuckles on a hinge, especially if the hinge has an arc in it's length. As anyone knows that makes patchboxes, the bottom of the knuckle will be a shorter dimension than it's top. Now, here is my thought, but have to make it work.

At this point in time I do not anticipate needing any arc in the hinge, another reason to go this route.
Brass tubing cut in sections will be slotted and then soldered alternating on both leafs that will be opposite each other. The wire will of course be in the center of the tubing.
Hacksaw cut the slot in the tubing and the .040 brass needs just a touch of taper with a file.
Curious if anyone out there has done a patchbox this way? Don't tell me it is not HC cuz I don't care. I just want it to end up lookin HC
Thanks for watchin
Larry

1701638179149.jpeg
IMG_6161.jpeg

Dixie catalog has pre made standard patch box hinges , ready to solder onto the lid , and body of patch boxes. Two of the hinges may be able to be soldered on for a long side box. Have used these for brass and steel boxes.

I used the last hinge I had last spring. I 've not had a chance to do any m/l rifle work , since April due to a sick wife. Those hinges work fine , just cut out the patcbox lid , and the body of the box , solder the hinge to both parts , and inlet. Lotsa fun. Ya can get psycho and work up your own ideas for the parts. I like that.. lotsa luck. ...........oldwood

@oldwood Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to order one today and give it a try. Making the hinge has been my area of doubt but Thanks to you and @Larry (Omaha) it looks like several options that are workable within my skill set and tooling.

Latest posts

Back